Trombone Shorty

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by melza, Mar 27, 2013.

1. melza

melza Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2010
    Australia
    Last night I saw Trombone Shorty live, he was entertaining and impressive. He also showed circular breathing at its best, without sacrificing his tone or dropping a note. I can't do it though.

2. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    I'll be catching him & Orleans Ave in a few weeks. I've seen a few videos of live performances, and no doubt, they put on a great show...can't wait to see them.

As for circular breathing, I've seen & heard Shorty do it very, very nicely. Not that I can do it as well (hahahaha, I can't do it so seamlessly), but Wynton's the master.

Have you heard Wynton's Moto Perpetuo? ;)

3. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
  4. Recursion

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

5. melza

melza Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2010
    Australia
    My hat goes off to them all. Seeing it live and feeling the audience on the edge was great.

6. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    What I find amazing about shorty is he does all that he does by ear. He doesn't have the theory and reading skills but he is still a monster on both horns.

7. Recursion

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    Really? NOCCA notwithstanding...

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Don't sell yourself too shot there Mr. Recursion, Sir. From the looks of you signature character, looks like you got that circular breathing (and swallowing) part down pat... or is it Pabst?:dontknow:

9. Recursion

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    Selling myself short? That's easy to do. Ha!

Nope, that's unidirectional imbibing, sir. Pabst? No, rather, it's actually a multi-chambered cooling/mixing system incorporating frozen CO2, Bombay Sapphire, and grapefruit juice, with the gin being sprayed into the juice with twin injectors swiped from a 2012 Ferrari Scaglietti, and the juice/gin mixture, then passing through an isolated heat exchanger with the frozen CO2 pulling heat therefrom, and finally collecting in the twin imbibing chambers. The only twist here is that once imbibing begins, it must be completed until said chambers are emptied. But I'm not complaining... ROFL

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    uhm -- Trombone Shorty plays JAZZ --- so he doesn't need to know how to read or write, or correctly spell anYthInG!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

hey I heard Trombone Shorty was an orthopedic surgeon in his spare time!!! --- well, they said something about "yeah, that cat works
    a fine tune on the BONE" ROFL ROFL ROFL