Trombone vs. Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hey_Pauly, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly New Friend

Dec 17, 2010
    For those of you who double. Do you have to blow harder on a trumpet than you do on a trombone?

2. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    No, I find that bone takes a lot more air. This is coming from a guy that plays a few scales on bone, gives up and goes back to trumpet.

3. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    Ditto the euph... Takes a bunch more air!

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I'm with D.C. and Pat - unless the trombone is one of those piccolo versions (Types of trombone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) the trombone would require more air.

Since you have a trombone in your signature what is your own observation?

--bumblebee

(P.S. - I'm an ex-euphonium doubler, and less a trombone doubler as much as a trombone dabbler)

5. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    Here are my 2 cents as a "switcher":

Trombone needs more air - of course! And I play a bass trombone...

But when switching to trumpet again: the chops are the issue: I defo need more lip muscle effort (if that is what the OP meant by blowing harder).

6. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    More air FLOW for the trombone but more air PRESSURE for the trumpet (I don't say pressure on the lips of course).
    Probably something to do with Boyle, Mariotte and Venturi laws/effects, but I wait with caution and interest Rowuk's comments on what I'm saying ...

7. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Definitely more air, but I have found that it is just as much fun to play the bass trumpet. I also play the treble clef with the bass, and use it to help maintain fingering, as well as a warm down from playing trumpet.

Gary

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, some of the longest jazz phrases that I ever heard were by Albert Mangelsdorff on the trombone.

I am not sure that a trumpet or trombone played efficiently are that much different. There is a myth running around that bigger bores need more air. I have never found that to be generally true.

I play a tenorhorn and it is as easy for me as the trumpet. I have a tuba with a way too big mouthpiece and can play most of the stuff that I do on the trumpet.

I would say that the horn that you practice least is hardest.

9. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    I'll be getting a vintage elkhart made trombone in a few weeks...I can say that the trombone has to be appreciated for it's capabilities. Technically some things are possible on a trombone that a trumpet can't do.

Now if you wan't to see a real jerk play the trombone...Look no further than James Morrison. What putz...He makes the trumpet look bad when he plays trombone. When he play's trumpet he makes the trombone look bad.

10. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    So what do you think of your Jin Boa bass trumpet?