Trombones helps tone, sound, range, risistance????

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AndrewWK, Sep 24, 2004.

1. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    I have been looking around different forums and talk about trombeone helping....
    1. tone
    2. sound
    3. range
    4. risistance
    5. helps air

I am always looking for ways to improve these and i can to the conclusion today to try this. I went up to one of my many trombone friends and asked to borrow one of their extra mps. i hav been buzzing and noticed that it is very hard to :oops: buzz or sustain notes :oops: . It is also a very good warm-down. :shock:

Should i work on Stamp with the new mp?

how long should i buzz?

does this have any negative effects that i should know about?

Thanks,
    AndrewWK

2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    removed

3. Frippel_C

Frippel_C New Friend

Apr 28, 2007
    Well I've heard people that say they've become better trumpet-players after they played trombone for a while, so I suggest that you go for it.

I borrowed my brothers trombone once and jammed for 30-40 minutes, and all of my mouth-region of my face was paralyzed for the rest of the evening. Not nice :p
    But trombone is fun so why not?

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't think that the trombone makes you a better trumpet player. Practicing more makes you a better player regardless of the instrument. A lower instrument gives you a different point of view and THAT is something MANY trumpet players can use a dose of! Just imagine the collection of mouthpieces after 10 years..........................
    I do play tuba from time to time. It is great fun doing the Carnival of Venice (Clarke) with the wind band!

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    maybe the trombone would break up some boredom -- when you hit a wall every now and then with the trumpet -- playing the bone might be more relaxing than a day off

6. chopshop3625

chopshop3625 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    When you first go back to your trumpet your mouthpiece is going to feel tiny!!!!! I play my sisters trombone sometimes. It is fun with seemingly no ill effects.

7. PWCom

PWCom New Friend

Mar 6, 2010
    I'm a doubler (well, I play more than two instruments, but my best are trombone and trumpet) who started on trombone. Conversely, I used trumpet playing as a way of increasing my aptitude on the trombone.

I've been playing the trombone for around 6 years, and decided to start learning trumpet. $200 dollars later and I had both a used Bach student horn (in decent shape, but still just a student horn, with all that goes with that), and an Olds Ambassador from 1962. The Olds, though still technically still a student instrument, seemed to be something special; it hadn't been played for 40+ years and was still in perfect condition.

Physically, learning and trying to master the trumpet have been me a new edge for playing trombone. At first, I would only play trumpet after practicing trombone. I found that I could play decently well, but after ten minutes a couldn't so much as blow a middle Bb on the trombone, though I could still play the trumpet. The other interesting thing I found was that my the high end of my range on the trumpet was pretty much my high end on the trombone, starting at a middle C when I first started playing and up to High C within about a month (having played the equivalent of a Double High C on trombone). Slowly I've gotten up to about High G or Double High C (though unsteady and not concert playable yet, it's closer and closer every day)

Playing trumpet has really improved my tone, my air efficiency, and strangely, my lyricalness. I started playing with songs like Somewhere Over the Rainbow, What a Wonderful World, and some old (easy) transcriptions of swing songs. After about a month, I started looking at some pieces I had transcribed for trombone, such as Haydn Concerto (not a transposition down to Bb from Eb, but rather just writing the same notes at pitch in C bass clef and down an octave). Reading the trombone music, I was able to translate the slide positions into trumpet fingering. While the first and third movements were a bit beyond my technical and physical skills, I decided that the second movement was both playable and stylistically what I had in mind when I played trumpet.

After learing the second movement by reading it for trombone (a high trumpet concerto transcribed down to trombone, so it could be played by a trumpet!), I wrote it down in Bb treble clef which helped me to learn to actually read music, instead of thinking of the slide positions, then translating.

So far, trumpet playing has really forced me to think about air. I noticed that when I had played the Olds Ambassador for about a week that I was actually "leaking" air. I firmed up my embouchure, focused on removing the "whu" sound, and subsequentally both my trombone and trumpet playing has improving. Also, because of the highness of trumpet literature combined with being a smaller instrument, I've learned how to play high more efficiently as a trombonist. On the flip side, tromboning has given me insight on how to play in tune and has given me strength in both my low and pedal notes.

However, technically I still need to work on both my trumpet and trombone playing. Being able to play in extreme registers on both instruments is fun but unrewarding if I can't turn it into music. It doesn't matter how fast I double-tongue or doodle-tongue if my arm/fingers can't find the notes as fast, or if my mind cannot keep up with the music. Thankfully, doubling has at least helped me develop greater harmonic connections for jazz improv, and through practice my fingers are finding notes faster and faster (while strangely making my thinking quicker on the t-bone too). Playing up a standard C mag scale is fast now, while less standard scales still need a lot of work (unfortunately, on both instruments).

However, the greatest thing doubling has helped me to do is listen. Whereas before I listened to Author Pryor, Urbie Green, Alessi, and etc., I found myself wrapped in the music of both well known trumpeters, and other less famous or local players. It has allowed me to understand music one small bit better, and I believe that truly doubling and listening can bring a world of difference to a musician, allowing them both to connect more fully to the world of the experience we call music, and letting them continue to prosper and both and all subsequent instruments.

8. chopshop3625

chopshop3625 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    Going from trumpet to trombone and back it literally takes me thirty minutes for my chops to adjust back to trumpet. My lips love a bigger mouthpiece. That would be worked out with more practicing right?

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    pwcom,
    thanks so much for the detailed info -- i am a trumpet player who has been looking for a trombone or marching bone to try and double. I want to double to improve as well on trumpet, but I also want to be competent on the bone. so I am glad to hear with practice -- maybe both will work --- now off to Ebay to get a bone.
    ken
    play and be happy