Trouble double/triple tounging

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ness, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Ness

Ness New Friend

Nov 3, 2011
    Hello everybody. Over the past few months I have been heavily refining my playing, and I've recently been working really hard on double tounging. I can do it very well for a few notes, but when I do more than a few I just seem to trip on my tounge and it blends into a single note. The funny thing is, over my time working on exercises for multiple tounging, I've only gotten worse. I've tried slowing down the tempo, but it only seems to make it more difficult. What am I doing wrong, and how can I fix this?

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    No one here can tell you with any amount of accuracy what you are doing wrong or not doing. We have no way of hearing you play or seeing you play, therefore the best advice I can give you is to find a good competent private teacher.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Yup.

Everyone has been there at one time or another.

Practice through it.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    You really need to find a teacher who can help see what the problem is. Without seeing and hearing you there are to many variables that could be causing the problem.

codyb226 likes this.
  5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Exactly. Slow it down, and try the different ways of doing it.
    Ta-Ka
    They-Gay
    Tuka-Tuka

Good luck!

6. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Arbans and playing herald pieces does wonders.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Multiple tonguing is not natural motion for our bodies. It has to be learned like a foreign language. We are not all equal in our ability to learn new languages.

I only teach beginners TuKU. Very decisive syllables. My students start on the second or third lesson and use the required scale as the base. First the scale as long tones up and down, then double tongued with a tuKUtuKUtuuuuuuuuH for each note going up and tuKUtuKU going down. This daily training helps the student commit the precise movement pattern to memory and eventually go faster.

As far as the other syllables available, I only add them once the player has the basic concepts down solid.

there is T, D, G, R, L as consonants and U, A, I, E, O as vowels. We need all combinations.

The usual problem with tonguing: no stored movement patterns and crappy breathing.