Trouble learning Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RyanN, Jan 10, 2015.

1. SAS

SAS Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2015
    Rowuk, is this post aimed at me?

2. therealnod

therealnod Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2014
    I don't think it was specifically aimed at you as much as generally aimed at any notion that the mouthpiece or the horn, for that matter, are what would cause a problem with hitting concert c.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC

"concert c" is a D for me on my Bb trumpet.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    SAS,
    I never really point anything at anyone specifically. There is just so much BS that gets copy pasted that I never know where the real source is, so I don't ever shoot the messenger, just the message.

I will question:
    1) is a 7C a beginners mouthpiece?
    2) does such a mouthpiece even exist?
    3) has there ever been an internet mouthpiece recommendation that led to any improvement?
    4) is the mouthpiece even really significant until the player gets a bit of chop development as all of the stuff that we as beginners SHOULD be doing does not require anything "special"?

In addition I question:
    1) why does anyone even recommend mouthpieces - if they have real experience with them they know that they are about 20th in the scope of things to consider.....
    2) if a beginner without any real direction goes out and buys a mouthpiece, what REALLY happens to their playing?

So I guess that you should explain why you think that someone that currently is searching on how to get started deserves a mouthpiece recommendation - without knowing ANYTHING about their body use, practice habits or basic understanding of the instrument and how it works.

You see, I AM interested in how players start and what works and what doesn't. I am also interested in why some people recommend things that I have researched and discovered that does NOT work.

I don't know everything, but have yet to have record of an anonymous mouthpiece recommendation working.

So, no - I am not aiming at anything except saving the thread owner time, money and frustration trying stuff doomed to fail.

Check this site out.

http://kanstul.net/MPcompare/MouthpieceComparator.html

Compare a 3C and a 7C. You are in for a surprise. While you are at it, check the 1.5C and for fun the S11C4 as the B is not listed.

5. therealnod

therealnod Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2014
    Sorry, concert b-flat.

6. SAS

SAS Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2015
    I see.
    Most of what I suggested had to do with breathing, and going to see an instructor. However, I stand by everything I posted (which if read, was pretty clearly not promoting of any theory about mouthpiece miracles) and if I cannot make suggestions about breathing, diaphragm, trying new mouthpieces, and going to see a trumpet teacher... then maybe it's also your opinion I should not post on this website anymore and signing up here was a waste of your time, my time, and the owner of the forum's time. Glad there was an initial warm welcome, but now I'll just be on my way.

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi RyanN,
    Welcome to TM.

Yes it is normal when starting to struggle until you develop the muscle and control required.
    Best advice is to get a teacher and some good instruction when starting off, and if you can continue with the teacher. They save a lot of mistakes and frustration.

Good luck

and BTW you can see we have a mix of talent, and of quality advice. You will quickly learn who has the good advice.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You said mostly what?
    Why the huff? Did you even look at the link that I posted? You haven't explained what made you think that the mouthpiece was even part of the problem. The 11b4 is essentially a 7c, and a Bach 3c is also VERY close. All documented in the comparator. You also haven't explained why a 7c is a beginners mouthpiece worth recommending. For a beginner with no track record, those mouthpieces are fine and do not influence the symptoms reported.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Starting on one's own is not a recipe for success. Muscle memory encourages bad habits from the beginning. Far better is the beginner having their very first contact with the instrument under the watchful eye of a teacher.

10. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    All good advice above. Do what you teacher says.

One good system is the old "Mitchell on Trumpet" series. It starts at very basic and works up to advanced with a wide range of exercises for range, endurance, etc. Follow a structured, progressive system like that one, practice every day, and you'll get there.