Trouble notes on the trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Invisible-Bob, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Invisible-Bob

Invisible-Bob New Friend

Jun 10, 2011
    Are there any particular notes on the trumpet that are inherently problematic? I know on other musical instruments like the flute there are certain notes that are just hard because of the nature of the instrument but doesn't have anything to do with being a high note. Is this the same for the trumpet? And while I'm at it I might as well ask if the experienced players need a warm up before they can play? If I rest just for 15 minuets my embouchure is stiff and I have to loosen it up. BTW I've only been playing about 6 months.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YES --- all notes are hard on the trumpet --- so you must practice ----YES, if I sit for too long (ie. band practice, while the woodwinds keep screwing up) -then my lips get a littls stiff ---------YES, you should warm up for a few minutes to get the blood flowing in your lips. SOME pro's will come on here, and tell you they don't need a warmup, BUT you heard it from me first --- ignore those people. ps. I am a comebacker and have been playing the last 3 years.

3. Invisible-Bob

Invisible-Bob New Friend

Jun 10, 2011
    All are hard sure but are there any particular notes that are more difficult than the rest?

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    low F#, and between the G on top of the staff and the high C (2nd ledger) there are a few "false" notes that can be hit in there, and someone is sure to tell you that the Ab in that range is difficult. Then of course, you have the D below the staff -- not inherently hard to hit, but usually needs to have the third valve slide out, so it is hard to get into tune at first. so there are at least 3 notes to think about!!!!!!!!!!

5. Invisible-Bob

Invisible-Bob New Friend

Jun 10, 2011
    That's good know so that if I have trouble I'll know it's not just me.

6. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I second the high Ab! That note is the devils work. The issue is with notes about G on the top of the staff is really any combination of buttons will let the note speak, just not in tune. Also, D and E in the staff are not fun as well.

7. MSfortissimo

MSfortissimo Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Why are we not mentioning C# below the staff!?

It is worse than the D a half step above it, in fact, in my experience, it's the worst note on the entire instrument!

I often have to double the amount of 3rd valve slide on that note compared to the D.

8. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Oops! Can't forget that note!

9. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I do low D with 3rd valve, then add 1st valve for C# (with ears keenly listening...)
    For me the biggest problem is between the high G & A (4 ledger lines). It is hard to get a smooth even sound doing something like clarke #2 exercises that cross the threshold there. Starting on high E and doing Clarke #2 turns into trouble around Ab-A.

10. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    My D above the staff played best open ( not the 1st valve ). F# to G# top of staff is a strange jump too.