Trouble notes on the trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Invisible-Bob, Jan 22, 2012.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    There are basically three problems with notes on the trumpet:
    One is that the instrument resonates to the natural harmonics, which do not comply in pitch (tssk tssk) with the equally tempered scale. The big example of this is the 5th harmonic (4th space open E, Eb, D etc). These notes are not as sharp as the equally tempered scale requires them to be.

Two is that the length of the tubing needs to be increased by a proportionate amount to lower the pitch, not by a set amount. So, although 1st slide is long enough to lower an open note by one step, it is not long enough to lower a 3rd valve note by one step. Blaikley designed a compensating system for Besson in the 1890s(?) which solved this one. We have to make do with thumb hooks and triggers.

Three is that the upper octave contains 9 open notes to cover an octave. That means that none of the notes can be in tune when played open. Yes, many players find that one note or the other is best in tune open, but this is more a factor of out-of-tuneness of their horn or chops.

Four (I can't count); the longer the tube is, the less secure the high notes are. This explains the instability of, for example, the G# fingered 2nd and 3rd above the stave.

Richard Oliver likes this.
  2. Invisible-Bob

Invisible-Bob New Friend

Jun 10, 2011
    The blasted thing is just difficult period. I don't know why I keep on. I started to sell it several times but just couldn't do it. I just really love this trumpet though I can't imagine why.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yes, we could mention that one -- but everyone knows that it is always out of tune unless you use a slide --- the D above that, may not be hard to hit, but many people take it for GRANTED that it will be nearly in tune -- and they lapse on using a slide adjustment. The D is used more frequently than the C#, ----that was just my opinion -- and I agree with you.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    OK, I have a problem saying certain notes on the trumpet are harder than the others. That just sounds like making excuses for not playing well. I've heard it all, these notes are sharp, these notes are flat. Then how do the good players play them in tune. And I'm not just talking about the big names either. Good players work to make all the notes sound in tune and good no exceptions, no excuses.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    that goes back to my first post -- all notes are difficult!!!!!!!!!!

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I probably took the post wrong, but I though the OP was asking if their were any particular notes that were hard to hit -meaning not just an intonation problem that needs slight correction. I have noticed that G#/Ab is probably my most missed note, and believe it or not, sometimes a E. Nailing the ones with intonation issues has never been my problem-you just have to correct for them.

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Any notes that are hard to hit, or out of tune or what ever are that way because one hasn't learned how to play them properly yet. When one's embouchure and playing habits are developed in an intelligent way (with a good teacher) There are no hard or problem notes. isn't that the goal of everyone you wants to learn to play? It's not that hard to do. It takes time and dillegence/commitment. that's all

8. Invisible-Bob

Invisible-Bob New Friend

Jun 10, 2011
    My biggest problem for now seems to be finding an embouchure position that works or finding it again.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    ummmm, where's your teacher????

10. Invisible-Bob

Invisible-Bob New Friend

Jun 10, 2011
    Don't have one. I was taking lessons for a while but my work schedule just got in the way so I'm on my own.