Trouble tonguing after braces removal?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BORTrumpetMom, Jan 15, 2011.

1. BORTrumpetMom

BORTrumpetMom New Friend

Jul 3, 2010
    North Carolina
    My son got his braces off a month ago after 3 years of wearing them and an injury before that which prevented his playing. He is having a lot of trouble with tonguing since the braces were removed. He has had a couple of lessons with his former trumpet teacher (now in grad school in another state) and a retired trumpet teacher, but winter ice has kept us out of school and caused him to miss more lessons.
    Does anyone have any suggestions to help him with his tonguing? He is frustrated because it isn't fun to play, and that isn't helping at all.
    Thanks!
    :play:

2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    dear Mom, I'm assuming your son is fairly young so adaptability is your best friend. Did he play while wearing braces? If not, why not? If so then the improved comfort level should make playing SO SO much more fun now. Basic technique for tounging can be practiced any time with or even without the instrument. Just say to to to to to slowly then gradually increase the speed. Feel where the toung touches the top of the mouth and get comfortable with it by lots and a-lots of repition.

After three years your son has a whole new mouth set up to play with. Time and practice will bring this issue around. Tell him we are all pulling for him, but there is no substitute for practice and patience. A certain amount of "dues" need to be paid but fun will come soon enough and that is what music is all about. Also tell him to stick with it because thats what someone told us geezers that still play. We found the fun factor and want him to know that it was well worth it to stick it out and pay those dues. Best wishes.

3. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    well i can say that i have had that experience only a month ago. im 18 and i have always wanted to play professionally but, braces meant a slight bump in the road. when i got mine off, i had no range, even though i had practices and played during my braces. its a huge adjustment. my dad is a pro and a teacher as well and, unfortunately, the practice after getting your braces off is tedious and boring but, tell your son from a guy who has had the experience only a few months ago that you improve amazingly quickly. Im back to playing pieces like the Hummel conceto and pieces alike so, all is not lost for him :)

for the first week, all i played was long notes and not going to high so as not to push the mouthpiece against my mouth. then i began adding lip slurs into my practices and again, not pushing to high. if you dont have the Arban cornet method, my advice would be to get one and use it for exercises in slurs, tonguing and long notes. get his teacher to write out exercises for him to do during the week.

My biggest piece of advice would be to stick at it, dont try and go high straight away as you'll get into the habit of pushing to force a note and you'll get there eventually

Hope that helps in some way :)

Harvey

4. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    i remember having to make that transition in 11th grade, it hurt even more than when i got the braces put on (though i bled alot less the second time) the first thing i noticed after the pain though was that it was ALOT easier to jump partials. but harvey's advice is gold. it won't take long at all to be back to where he was, if not better :D

5. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    hahkeystah will agree that the first few weeks, you do want to give up. its so dull but, im sure he'll also agree that the transition period is totally worth it :)

6. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    for me the worst part was how bad it hurt my teeth, but deffinitely worth it. (and yes, it sucked having to go back to the beginner's books for a few weeks)