Trouble with endurence and swelling

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe44, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    I have been playing the trumpet for four years. Ever single time I play my lips swell up. Even if I only play for 10 minutes. I have large lips. I play on a Shilke 14A4a and used to play a 7C. Is it my mouthpiece?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    How was it when you played the 7C? Any swelling?

3. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    Yes, about the same amount. Mybe a little bit more with the Shilke ( probably because I player higher on it.)

4. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    It is difficult to say what exactly is happening just based on your report, but I guess that the case is twofold:

1. The use of excessive pressure
    2. The Schilke 14A4a is too shallow for you and makes you bottom out. Because of this effect you probably press harder the mp on you lips and you get in a dead end.

My suggestion: First of all, try to minimize the pressure you use. Then you may try with your teacher (assuming that you've got one) to find a more efficient mouthpiece for you (probably a little larger and a little deeper, maybe a 3C would be something to test)

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  6. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny

I don't really have a teacher. (since school just let out.) My last teacher knew nothing about trumpet playing. (See All Trumpets using same mp forum.) Is it worth it to gt a teacher before school starts?

7. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Summer is the best time for schoolers to change habits. Now is the best time to get yourself a teacher. Make sure that he knows what he is doing (trumpet teacher with a successful teaching history).

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The mouthpiece has NOTHING to do with the swelling unless you have an allergy to metal.

For players with lips that swell, the question is, is that because of lack of practice and the body is fighting back, is it because of excessive hydration (the warm time of the year is coming up) or is it a constant thing.

I consider the 14A4A to be a specialty mouthpiece. It CAN be used by players of all lip size, they should know exactly why they are using it (and be practicing enough to make it work) however. It is shallow and swollen lips CAN bottom out, ending the ability to produce sound immediately.

I think your 7C probably is safer because you have no idea what is going on.

For players just messing around and not getting any real help from the outside (the internet does not count), extreme equipment makes no sense.

trumpetnick likes this.
  9. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny

I didn't know it was a specialty mouthpiece. Good to know. Thanks.:-)
    P.S. This has always happened every time I play. As I said just 4 years

10. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    I have only been without a teacher since...well... yesterday but, she was just a normal band teacher without barely an trumpet experiance. How soon should I get another teacher? Is it bad to go a summer without one?

trumpetnick likes this.