Trouble with endurence and swelling

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe44, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    If money permits get a private TRUMPET teacher ASAP. Someone who plays trumpet really well and has successful students. You've got some really bad habits that are causing you to use way too much mouthpiece pressure.

2. Plankowner110

Plankowner110 New Friend

May 25, 2009
    Joe44,

I see you are the same player that started the thread about your band director putting all the trumpeters on the same mouthpiece next year. I can now see why she made this desperate threat. If there are some students in the concert band playing on Schilke 14A4a mouthpieces (that would be you) the trumpet section probably is not achieving a characteristic concert band sound.

I suggest you get a private trumpet teacher asap, and I bet that teacher will have you ditch the 14A4a immediately for something like a Bach 3C or 5C as a starting point for developing your sound. Work on your sound first, and everything else will eventually follow.

During your lessons, ask your trumpet teacher to teach you how to listen for pitch vibrations so you can learn to play in tune with another player. When you return to school in the fall, discuss with your band director what you learned about sound and intonation and I bet she will be very pleased with your growth as a musician.

Good luck to you (from a trumpet-playing school band director.)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree with Rowuk. With lip swelling, when you start on a rehabilitation course, the 14A4A will be a hindrance. The 7C is a nice middle of the road piece to start without confining swollen lips, which is what the 14A4A will do to you at this point of fresh injury.

4. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    I had the same problem and it turned out to be how I practiced and the amount of time I practiced.

I also will say that Bach makes a 7A and a 7B and a 7BW and a 7CW all of these are deeper and 2 of them have a cushion rim......

Also I found that because I have a huge overbite that if I spread my lips apart that they do not bottom out......