Trouble with range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by scrap, Jun 21, 2011.

1. scrap

scrap Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2010
    York, South Carolina
    I've been working for a while now on my range ( mostly flow studies, long tones, scales, etc.) nut I'm having a bit of trouble still. I finaly got to where my I'm using enough air, however I still get a lot of backpressure in the upper range, and my Director say I seem to be pushing my air with too much force, and that I need to move it faster but not as hard....The problem is..I really am clueless as to what he means or how to do this. could someone explain it better for me or tell me a bit of what it feels like to play with "fast" air? As a sidenote, he did mention that it might be time for me to consider a bigger mouthpiece. (I'm currently on a 3c and I think I really would prefer something more free-blowing)

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That means relax your lips, open your embouchure and let air pass through this gate.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Hey Scrap...
    Have you tried any other horns? ... is your current horn clean... corks good on the water keys..
    What horn are you currently playing on.
    I have no idea what fast air is...

4. scrap

scrap Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2010
    York, South Carolina
    playing on a Yamaha student model which I clean every few months (not as often as I should but it still isn't bad enough that it should cause problems) my corks are also in good enough shape (No leaks but one of them isn't too pretty...) and no I haven't really played on any better quality horns, just a junky student horn made by some company I'd never heard of. (ciela or something along those lines) My director told me not to blame my horn for this.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I tend to agree with your director. I found the YTR-200AD a little stuffy .. great for a beginner because it slotted very well and the tightness made it pretty easy to move across the partials. The other Yamahas 2320 and 2335 were great playing horns.
    I wish you had a private instructor for this but I will throw it out to you. Check where the ring is left on your lips. If you are getting too much upper lip in the cup it will feel stuffy and make the upper register difficult (generally, as there are always exceptions). The rule of thumb is about two thirds of the red part of your upper lip and 1/3 white part. It's also not suggested to have the entire ring on your lip (all red). Some guys do that to cheat and play high notes... so please DON'T DO THAT
    The mouthpiece might also be too big for you at this point in your playing journey and you might (MIGHT) be getting too much lip inside the cup.
    All this is really hard to say. IF you can't afford a private instructor and your teacher isn't a trumpet guy, try to find a college student (who you trust) to spend an afternoon with... perhaps there is a private teacher who is willing to spend an afternoon with you for a discounted rate to help you get on the right path.
    also
    if you are tightening up you will constrict your air flow and it will feel like someone stuffed a sock up the bell of your horn :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  6. scrap

scrap Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2010
    York, South Carolina
    Fortunately my director is a trumpet player..who apparently had his own issues with range in the past. I'm not really putting enough pressure to leave a ring ( got out of that habit freshman year thankfully) and have the trumpet set as you described. It seems to be purely an airstream issue, though I'm curious about comments I've heard in the past about closing your lips too much causing issues close to the one I'm having so I have to wonder if that's my problem.

7. CaptainAddy

CaptainAddy Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2010
    Camden County, GA
    Instead of trying to force a great volume of air through the trumpet, try increasing and changing the velocity of the air. Try to aim the air more downward and think of a sort of laser beam going into the mouthpiece. Think about tongue level, and try using the syllable "eee" for notes above the stave. See if that helps!

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Stuffy just means that your chops aren't ready. When your chops are working right, the air, tongue, lips and body are synchronized. Your present situation is that everything is fighting everything. No work, no fun.

Success is measured in months and years.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You need to relax as much as possible the higher you go. It could be your horn, don't know. AS most things"trumpety", range takes time and lots of effort with a healthy dose of patience. I do the "aa-oo-ee" tongue thingy. I agree with your director on the too much force thing. I used to do the same thing whenever I saw something above the staff and sometime it hurt! Playing softly in the upper register is one way to "solve" this issue.

10. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    There are days when I climb the register my tone suffers, on analysis I tend to go back to old habits which are hard to break, as I climb I slowley start to tense up!! Thus I have a Bad Day!! :thumbdown:

Then there are somedays that as I climb the register the tone and feel seem easy, on analysis that on those days I'm really relaxed and the notes/partials seem so easy..... :play:

Now on those bad days, which are fewer and fewer I just stop right there and some thing else musical like do low chromatics and or listen to music. Thus I retrain my mind slowly to not have bad days :thumbdown: