Truisms

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by tedh1951, Sep 12, 2013.

1. BigDub

BigDub Utimate User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Thanks for the research. You are the archives coordinator, I hereby declare. Salary is the same as you have been getting to this point.

2. BigDub

BigDub Utimate User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Aye, what'd you say, sonny?

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I said: regardless of ability to pay... but a gratis painting will do nicely. Call my receptionist about booking a ear cleaning session.

4. BigDub

BigDub Utimate User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Such a nice young lad, he is

5. BigDub

BigDub Utimate User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    It is not good policy to criticize those who possess more skill.
    I ought not criticize much.

6. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    The more skill someone has the more perfect they think they are. When their pompous self image exceeds their abilities they can suffer a rude awakening that sometimes is disastrous for their self image. As has been said elsewhere the bigger they are the harder they fall.

Criticising them is not only healthy for them but is a positive contribution to their self respect and self esteem.

The question is this, is your criticism correct and well made, if it is not correct then you are wrong and they are vindicated and that is good for them, if it is correct then they are wrong and they had better know it to save themselves from misery and pain and fooling themselves and others.

I love to be criticised because I always learn something, either I learn that I am right and that is always welcome, or I learn that I did something wrong and I love that because I get to learn something new and that means I do it right and I do it better next time.

If you cannot accept criticism you are a fool and you just dont know it.

Bigdub you are the control that keeps skillful people on track in line and productive. Fear of criticism has led to some of the worst disasters that have befallen nations.

Just look at the Challenger disaster, and by the way there is no reason to single this one out, I could have chosen any of a thousand others.

An engineer still blames himself 30 years after the challenger disaster happened, no doubt he would have welcomed some criticism at the time that never happened, the result would have been that either he would have proven himself to be correct and he would not be blaming himself after the fact, or he would have spotted the problem and corrected it or halted the launch and saves the day. Criticism is an opportunity to review your work and prove it correct or make it correct.

As I recall it the seals on the rocket boosters were seen to be a possible problem and were reported to a manager in charge of the launch and instead of delaying the launch to review the seal problem and the quality and performance of the boosters the manager pressed ahead and launched. That guy in charge should have known better. He made the guy who raised the issue feel like his comments were not valued or wanted I am sure he regrets that now. It was much more important to him to launch rather than risk looking foolish by costing NASA money delaying the launch and checking safety on what was obviously a safe system.

That guy in charge resented criticism at the time. After the disaster he would have given a kidney to have that chance to save the mission and seven lives once again.

I have lost count of the number of times that I have been told to stop bitching and told that whatever I was questioning was made by highly qualified people who must have tested their products so it was not my place to question it. Well that is bullsh1t is my place to question and it is yours too.

You go right ahead criticising whatever you think needs it, it is often the biggest contribution to any activity that we can make and we can save a fortune by doing it or even lives.

7. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Was Colorado...now Utah
    Eh....if you get paid $8m a year to kick a ball, I think you should take some arm-chair criticism...just my take anyway.

tobylou8 and Dennis78 like this.
  8. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    And work with broken limbs!

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I'll take all the criticism for 4 million!!!

10. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Honestly you guys need to wake up.

Have you any idea how difficult it is to survive on 4 million a year.

There are houses to buy, fast cars to buy, you have to attend openings and parties, you have to schmooze agents, and you gotta take your gf to the swankiest restaurants. It all costs money.

People think it is easy to live on 4 or 5 million a year but after all the expenses including the vacations in bali and the seychelles have been paid for, you dont have much more than a million left to scrape by on.

J. Jericho and tobylou8 like this.