Trumept Mp3s for the New Year

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by abbedd, Oct 9, 2005.

1. abbedd

abbedd Pianissimo User

Sep 21, 2005
  2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Those are GREAT!

Thanks Abbedd!

-cw-

3. abbedd

abbedd Pianissimo User

Sep 21, 2005
    Just keep in mind that the only true comparison between trumpeters is when each is under the direction of the same conductor.

But I think it is quite clear that Longinotti belongs in the class of Glantz and Vacchiano

Abbedd

4. dburdett

dburdett New Friend

Apr 10, 2004
    Boston MA
    Very interesting to hear these great players of the past! Can we assume Glantz on the B flat, Vacchiano on the D, and Longinotti on the a picc? To me Glantz seems to be in a big hurry to finish this excerpt, and there are some intonation stickies probably because of the larger instrument. Vacchiano has the fullest sound and makes the grace notes sound almost as if they fall on the beat. Longinotti's sound is very clear on the picc but you can notice the inconsistant breathing spots in the trumpet section. This excerpt is one of the hardest! I'm going to go and practice!

5. abbedd

abbedd Pianissimo User

Sep 21, 2005
    Glantz was under strict orders from Toscanini.

Don't you think Vach is on a C as well as Longinotti

Next week they promenade, voisen too

Abbedd

6. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Glantzis using 2 assistants. Why not? The opening Promendade would be better with 2 players.

Not that anyone young and macho would do it that way. What's the fun in that? Only the old and wise.

John DeLancie didn't like me. After I played it in a brass and ww sectional on a Schilke D (no power in that horn but its ok with a mute)

JDL: It is customary to use an assistant

ME : I don't need one

JDL: Let's do it again

ME: OK

played again

JDL: From the beginning again

ME: OK, sounds good to me

After the 3rd time he believed me.

Now like I said, older and wiser, I use a piccolo.

7. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    You were just upholding the trumpet student vs oboe teacher conflict dating all the way back to Gil Johnson vs Marcel Tabuteau.
    Back in the days before the piccolo trumpet, the BS days....before Schilke, the D trumpet was the way to go. I still prefer the D on this lick. An assistant was always there to play the repeated C#s.
    Vacchiano's mute has that quality I look for in that passage.
    For a hot minute, playing the grace note ON the beat was popular.
    Krauss played it on the 304 Bach D/Eb.
    Wilmer