Trumpet Aces - Information Needed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bbotzong, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I didn't know Vaughn Monroe was a trumpet player. Just thought he was a singer.:dontknow:

This thread was started in '13 if you hadn't noticed. i would love to know more on this myself:oops:

2. bbotzong

bbotzong New Friend

Aug 8, 2010
    Absolutely. I really want to document and share this information.

Phil was such a great player, good friend and teacher. I remember one lesson, he was telling me how Mendez used to tell him "Phil, you have such a sweet sound. I wish I could have a sound like yours". He was very proud of that. Plus, I've never seen anyone hold a cigarette in one hand while holding a trumpet and playing. I swear there was smoke coming out of the bell. Yes indeed, he could play...

In his memory, I want to put something about him where others can learn about him and his brothers. Stay tuned....

3. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    This literally made my day. The trumpet community comes through yet again! If it is true that you one of the first Olds LA horns made, that was also played by such a studious horn player, you have a treasure for the ages! I am drooling over the thought of it!

4. RRVancil

RRVancil Piano User

Sep 24, 2009
    Littleton, Colorado
    Oh god, please do!

With all the crazy banter on here, isn't it funny we all become serious students when something like this pops up.

Rick

5. bbotzong

bbotzong New Friend

Aug 8, 2010

More info and some GREAT finds. The Candreva Brothers first studied with Louis Maggio in the mid 1920's. Maggio was a frequent guest for dinner at the Candreva household. He helped develop the act and helped the boys go on the road as The Six Candreva Brothers, or some times the Trumpet Aces of Hollywood. I didn't know it, but they played for the 1932 Olympics. Oh a whim, I googled opening ceremonies and came up with this gem where you can see and hear them in 1932!! See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EolsUL2i1sY&index=2&list=PL1_Us9u8d7jksff8x7dWjvNtvFHjz6ilc

Turns out Phil played on the Hot August Night album with Neil Diamond, made many recordings with Ella, Art Tatum, and recorded a few Disney soundtracks. They also appear shortly in the movie, Here Comes Cookie with George Burns. That movie gives a glimpse of their vaudeville act as the six brothers played and danced.

I'm still looking for information on any/all of the Candrevas. If you know of them, drop me an email.

Linda, you also need to send me your private email address.

Thanks!

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I googled this image... looks like there are 7 of them in this one!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. bbotzong

bbotzong New Friend

Aug 8, 2010
    From what the family told me, in about 1927, "The Six Candreva Brothers became five (plus a Jewish guy named Harold Goosen). Bill was offered a job at Paramount Studios in the studio orchestra. Bill was the best trumpet player of the bunch quickly followed by Uncle Phil. Bill could play anything from symphonic music to hot jazz". That might explain the seventh person in the picture. Although, their father toured with them as they criss-crossed the country and eventually ended up playing the Palace Theater in New York. Besides Harold, they also apparently used Pete Scamperino who was identified in one other picture that was sent to me by the family.

Thanks for the picture. I'm struggling putting names to faces, but I will continue to document these guys...

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Phil Candreva, Maggio, Mendez,

[​IMG]

9. bbotzong

bbotzong New Friend

Aug 8, 2010
    I have that one... it's one of the pictures that got me interested in researching Phil and his career. He used to talk about his drinking buddy, Ralph, in my lessons. Finally, I asked who Ralph was, and he said "Oh, that's Rafael Mendez". I didn't know of his connection to Maggio until much later.

Thanks for posting!!

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Keep digging folks. This is getting really interesting;-):oops: