Trumpet Addicts?

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Annie, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    Hey,

Has anyone noticed that not only do they LOVE to play their horn, they can't go a day without playing? Kind of like...well...Your emotional levels are off the chart? Just wonderin'.

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    And this is a bad thing?

I think most musicians love to play. If they didn't, the gave it up years ago. Comeback players missed it and came back to it. Research shows that making good music is a strong, strong positive influence on our characters (makes you wander what the long-term effects of gangsta rap will be!).

Is it addiction? Well maybe not physical -- but certainly emotional. Everyone is addicted to something if you define it as having great difficulty giving it up. Some addictions are very healthy (by this definition, breathing is an addiction).

Seriously, playing your horn can be a soul moving thing. This is good. It can move other's souls too. This is good too. I love to play -- I love to practice. I wish I had more time to devote to it.

Jim

3. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    I feel a sense of disappointment with myself if I go a day without playing. Kind of like I'm taking advantage of being able to play trumpet. I doubt that even after I am unable to really "play" trumpet that I will still try to make the effort just because I love music so much and it would be hard to let it go after so many years.

4. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Annie,

You hit a great point there. I am definitely in that boat. I am with FreshBrewed on this; I feel very guilty if I don't pick up the horn every day. There's just something about it that makes me feel better, and that right there keeps me moving forward. I find that it's one of those things in music that you can't explain; it's the "tractor beam" that keeps you sucked in. It's very much a soul moving thing.

5. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    My horn has been in the shop for a few days, So I've just been buzzing and all that good stuff. I'm about to go nuts without my horn. I feel empty If I don't play during the day.....well, maybe not that severe, but you get the point.

JGW

6. busnutmedic

busnutmedic New Friend

Jan 1, 2004
    massachusetts
    Same here. I practice because I feel like it, not because I have to. Once you realize practicing has a direct effect on how you can play, then you want to practice and make yourself happy the next day by playing better.

Bonnie

7. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Addicted? You bet - Since 19xx, well just say a long time. My trumpet has been with me from early grade school (cornet actually) through college, the vietnam war and then through college again. Two degrees, Music Ed. and Engineering.

I've had different trumpets throughout my life. It's like women, I like trying them all and if I could I would have kept many. Trumpets that is.

I play in three bands a week and want to add one more. If I could, I'd live in the practice rooms at the U of L. Boy, if I were just good enough to pay my bills with my trumpet. But, then would it be as much fun?

Besides breathing, my trumpet has been the most consistant part about me since 19xx.

Am I emotional about my horn? My ability to play? You bet your bippy I am.

8. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I'm having a really good trumpet day today. I love my horn!