Trumpet Advice For An Uneducated Dad

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GarrisonDad, Oct 13, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I like Robin's approach.
    I had a young man come over to the house with his Mom and some friends. He is looking for a horn and has a benefactor who is will to help. I asked him to play his horn for me and then I had him try out about 5 of mine. I wanted to see his skill level and see what his taste were. His friends played trumpet so they really had fun playing all the horns. So I know the price range and how much horn he can handle and some of the the things he likes and doesn't. The school is currently loaning him a Yamaha 2335 ... which really is a solid horn.
    I like the Yamahas but I think they command top dollar in the LA market so I am leaning towards the Getzen 700. So this weekend I am going to try out some of these horns.
    I really suggest getting an accomplished player to help you look over these horns. There are things you might not notice that could cost you some money later on and frustration to your young trumpeter.
    All things being equal if I had to choose I would take the Yamaha hands down.... but only if that were my only choices.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    This is a considered approach with a good basis for success - the instrumentalist achieves ownership of the decision and the instrument - I've just done exactly this with my youngest son, but with a small sailboat, I was impressed with the way he "knew" how to negotiate fairly and that both parties had a "Win-Win". I suspect the same applies to trumpets and daughters. My advice - if you will - is to take your time, have your daughter try lots of trumpets, really try them, don't just look - her trumpet will find her, truly.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Of the 2 choices, the Yamaha is the better horn, if it has been well maintained. If you can expand a bit, Getzen makes some of the best horns out there and the models already mentioned are all in your price range. Getzen's valves are some of the best in the business, period. I own 3 Getzens and the hard part is deciding which one to play. Hope you find what you're looking for.:-)

4. GarrisonDad

GarrisonDad New Friend

Oct 9, 2011
    Great advice rowuk! And ... this is actually in line with what I am doing. We are both researching this. Most of the time she is watching over my shoulder or checking on web sites on her own. In addition, she will have her own financial investment in the trumpet. It won't be 100% of the cost, but at least a partial amount that she can afford. Not inly is being involved in the search important, but also having ownership as well. It is too easy to abuse a privilege if you have no sweat and equity of your own invested.

Thank you!

5. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Well said. Your daughter is fortunate in having you as her father.

6. BrassEye

BrassEye Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2011
    Robin's advice is spot on.

Yamaha make some very good horns at very affordable prices.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  7. GarrisonDad

GarrisonDad New Friend

Oct 9, 2011
    Thanks edfitzb and BrassEye! We will probably take a look at the Yamaha and am also looking at a couple Getzen's.

You all have been very helpful!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    SUBLIMINAL REPLY:
    I think you are on the right track and may you Getzen the best horn possible and say Yamahaa haa to the rest!

9. smokin valves

smokin valves Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2011
    In my opinion, you may as well get her a pro level trumpet now rather than an intermediate one. This saves money in the long run, and the best deals are on second hand pro trumpets. If however you still decide that you want to get an intermediate level trumpet now, then you should probably wait and get a second hand trumpet on eBay. If you do want a new trumpet then as others have said Carol, Wiseman or something similar will get you the best deal.

10. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    I second the Eterna 700. You can find them on EBAY for around $500 used. I have bought several for students and wasn't disappointed. Add a precision valve alignment and they really rock.

BTW it is "practically" a pro horn, a copy of the original Getzen Severinson model.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011