Trumpet Advice For An Uneducated Dad

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GarrisonDad, Oct 13, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes. Here is the link to BrassReview. 12 individules rated the 700 series at 9.0 on a 10.0 scale. I think it would be an excellent choice.
    http://www.brassreview.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/4/sort/8/cat/11/page/1

2. GarrisonDad

GarrisonDad New Friend

Oct 9, 2011
    Sounds like the 700 or 770 may be a better fit for her. It seems like these models keep popping up more than others in comments. Thanks!

I live in east central Iowa just south of Waterloo. It is a mostly agricultural/rural area so I don't think the area should see high prices demanded. Maybe it is opposite than I am thinking though.

3. Bucaneer61

Bucaneer61 Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2007
    Buckhannon, WV
    For what it's worth, I own a Capri cornet and it plays as well as any horn I've played, even better than some "pro" horns. Others who have played it say the same thing, Great valves, nice open blow and all. I agree about the 1st valve trigger. It works for me but for a small-handed person comfort may be an issue.

Michael

4. GarrisonDad

GarrisonDad New Friend

Oct 9, 2011
    Thanks Michael! My daughter is tall for her age with long fingers .... but not sure if they will be long enough. We may go and check out the Capri to let her try it.

5. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I am rather sure that Quality Brass is in Iowa and may not be too far from you. If it is possible, check with Fred at Quality Brass to see what he might have for your daughter to try out in person.
    I have a 44 year old Getzen Capri C trumpet that still plays well. The valves are great and in an emergency - such as my usual Bach C was not available, I would not hesitate to use it.
    Rich T.

6. Bucaneer61

Bucaneer61 Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2007
    Buckhannon, WV
    Hey Dad,

As I said, my horn plays fantastically well & I have had others buy one after playing mine. If the Capri trumpet is in good condition, I don't think you can go wrong. The trigger (assuming it has one) shouldn't be a problem if your daughter has largish hands as you indicated. My hands can barely span an octave + 2 notes on the piano and it's fine for me.

Michael

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    It all comes back to the same thing Garrisondad - allow her the privilege of trying before you buy.

She may dislike the trumpets available - that's a valid assessment - even if she can't tell you why IMO.

One thing I found with the Getzen, coming from a Boosey and Hawkes student level horn, was that my short stubby little fat hands had to form a Vulcan Salute - you know, spread between the 3rd and 4th fingers, to accomodate the necessary grip around the valve casing (I couldn't fit my hands any other way. This meant that decades of "spanner time" at work to develop the appropriate muscles for my job, now needed my hands to be 'stretched' - my hand (LH) hurt for many months while I acclimatised to the trumpet - but it was very much worth it and I have no issue at all today.

8. GarrisonDad

GarrisonDad New Friend

Oct 9, 2011
    Hi All! First off .... Thank You ALL once again for the great advice! I am happy to report that we decided to look into Fred at Quality Brass (thanks Rich T!) who met with my family on Saturday and had 5 different trumpets to try out. Included was a Bach, Yamaha, Besson, and Olds Ambassadors. After giving them all a thorough "test" my daughter chose one of the Olds Ambassadors that she really liked. She is very excited to say the least. And Fred is going to take her old trumpet and get it fixed up for her so she has a back up as well. Fred has certainly gone above and beyond to help us out and I really appreciate that.

All the trumpet searching has now gotten one of my two younger daughters perked up a bit about the instrument. So maybe another search will be on in a couple years.

Thanks again!

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    and now you know how real trumpet players roll ... congrats

10. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    GarrisonDad, I am very happy she found something she liked and was able to pick it out herself. That is a thrill for anyone - especially a young player!
    Now you know why I recommended Fred. He is a man who truly helps players of all ages and I knew he would supply his usual above and beyond customer service.
    I have purchased three horns from Fred and would not hesitate to buy another from him.
    Rich T.