Trumpet Advice For An Uneducated Dad

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GarrisonDad, Oct 13, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The Olds Ambassador is an EXCELLENT choice. Your daughter is wise. That was my first horn and launched me on the career I have today. In fact, I will be sending that mid-60's vintage Ambassador for rehab with Tom Green in anohter week. This is my thank you to that FABULOUS horn it for the years of band camp and marching on many football fields that my brother and I put it through. I am going to have a beading technique done, add a third valve and play it like never before.

By the way, the rule is, once you make a committment to Olds, it's Olds all the way. When she is ready for an upgrade there is ONLY the Olds Recording or Super Recording. Anything else for your daughter after experiencing an Olds will be a let down! No bias from me (don't read my signature line).

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    1961 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn

Yep, HAD to be a Getzen in there somewhere ..... :)

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yah, Yah, Yah, You're right, you a entitled to one Getzen as well.

4. scrap

scrap Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2010
    York, South Carolina
    sorry I'm a bit late but for future horn search the link in my signature is a basic rundown of what you need to know. The ambassador is a pretty good horn judging from the few fleeting moments I spent with one, so at least she made a good choice. They're sturdy horns with a much better tone than the vast majority of modern student horns. Probably the best "true" intermediate horn, unlike the student horns with a new feature and a better case that are typically placed under that label.

5. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    My wife had an Olds Ambassador cornet - that's what her school district made the local store supply for the rent-to-buy program. This served her through high schoo l. She then became a trombonist but, that's another story. I think that the sound and response from the Ambassador was every bit as good as my much more expensive (and perhaps, overpriced) Strad. Even after I caught our kids literally dragging her horn up and down the stairs by the mouthpiece when they were little, the horn played great. It is a brick. The valves are incredible. It is not a light horn but it is a solid horn.

6. itgwn

itgwn New Friend

Nov 24, 2011
    Could you elaborate?

My daughter has had an Ambassador for 5 years now and is ready to upgrade. She doesn't like her father's Bach Strad. Since Ambassadors were way more plentiful than Super Recordings, what does everyone else graduate to?

7. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Get her an Olds " Mendez " for less than $1000 is my advice. Great sound, fast valves, 1st and 3rd slide triggers. I sold one for just under $700 a couple of months ago on eBay. I liked it a lot.

8. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    A regular Olds Recording is a great buy. I absolutely adore mine. They can be had for far less than a super recording and I like the way it plays much better than the bachs I've tried. Well, except for the Mt. Vernon Bach, that was a SWEET horn.....but then again I don't quite have 3 grand ;)

9. Cleve Land

Cleve Land New Friend

Mar 10, 2009
    Montana
    I just bought a Carol 580TR and am greatly impressed with the quality of craftmanship and especially the way it plays. Great sounding horn and a great price. I encourage everyone to check them out. I think you will be extremely surprised. Everyone has their own preferences. What works best for you is the horn that does the job for you. One can only tell by putting the horn through rigorous testing through playing it.
    CL

10. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    Great choice!!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011