Trumpet Advice

Discussion in 'Horns' started by SkaTrumpet, Aug 15, 2004.

1. SkaTrumpet

SkaTrumpet New Friend

Jul 10, 2004
    Anyone know where I could pick up a decent trumpet with a colour lacquer finish (black or red). I'm not looking for anything too expensive, i'm only 15, and I play in a ska band, so i don't need an outstanding trumpet, just something that has a sharp sound and good valves. I'm from Canada aswell, so if anyone knows a good place up here, that'd be great. Thanks for any help.

Graham

2. SkaTrumpet

SkaTrumpet New Friend

Jul 10, 2004
    I'm not looking so much for an actual store or anything, thought that'd be awesome, but just if you know any decent, not too expensive brands that have colour lacquer finishes..

3. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Hey SkaTrumpet. I played Punk-Ska in church the week before last and my Selmer Paris Concept TT was the bomb. It comes in black lacquer. However, I'm afraid it's out of your price range at around $1900.

The Martins are available in two or three colors of lacquer (black, red, blue I think). The current build quality is not exactly the best, but if you could find a decent used one on Ebay or a steep discount on a new one, then you'd be ok. The Committee can be a great horn.

Look in the Giardinelli catalogue. I don't have one here right now, but I recall them having another brand of lacquered horns. Check them out online. I think they're Canadian friendly. :-)

Also, look at:
    http://www.mbgsax.com/html/phaeton-specs.html

Dave

4. SkaTrumpet

SkaTrumpet New Friend

Jul 10, 2004
  5. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    An option would be to contact Malcolm at Alaska Pro Horns. He normally has a couple of Olds Ambassadors (excellent vintage horns) totally overhauled but in colors. I had a Red one but had it removed and silver plated! Too bad, I'm in Toronto and we might have been able to work a great deal!

[​IMG]

This is one of his current eBay auctions. Give him a try!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16214&item=3742005747

6. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Looks good and the price is tempting. I haven't played one, so I can't give any further advice. Maybe someone will chime in that's played one.

Dave

7. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

Bill beat me to the Olds Ambassador suggestion by mere seconds! :wink:

The reason I am thinking Ambassador is that you can get one with good valves and get someone to lacquer it cheap. I can imagine that you might get tired of the colour when you get older and maybe you'll regret it if you put too much money into the horn.

www.brassandwoodwind.ca has one used for CDN$250. You wouldn't have to pay US exchange.

On the other hand, I played a gig this summer with Bruce Cassidy (formerly with Blood, Sweat and Tears) and his Schilke is tricked out in rainbow colours :shock: - it took me a minute to figure out what kind of horn he was holding.

8. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I have an LA Professional Horn in perfect condition in my store

[​IMG]

See the specs at:

http://www.ibowtie.com/TradeIns/LAHornRed.html

Solid player. Not maybe as nice Olds Ambassador a Phaeton but certainly a very well built horn at a great price.

Jim

9. SkaTrumpet

SkaTrumpet New Friend

Jul 10, 2004
    is there any possiblity of getting that free shipping deal for Canada..?Probably not.. but it's worth a try..

10. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    If you talking about my horn, I would definitely help a TM member. PM me or send me an email at [email protected] Besides, how could I not be helpful to a fan of Five Iron Frenzy?

Jim