trumpet advice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, May 12, 2015.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi sometimes trumpet advice is like the end of the movie " The Devils Advocate where Pacino says about God taste but don't swallow " touch but don't take"
    .....here us my point I see numerous threads or links on the internet about emboucher : ex." lips should touch " 2. lips shouldn't touch...3 lips not touching teeth open
    4 teeth clinched lips open. So is it what works for you? Or is it all of these? Just curious.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The truth is, I've never really thought about it that much. While it's true I don't have awesome chops - I'm not the guy you'd call to play lead in a big band - it's also true that I've got (and pretty much always had) a good, strong sound, and I've got good enough range and chops that it has never really kept me from getting or keeping a gig, with maybe perhaps the aforementioned lead book for a big band.

If you're truly concerned about it, finding a teacher in your area who specializes in chop doc'ing might be a better person to consult than us. It isn't that good advice can't be had, but it's also true that you are likely to get responses from guys who think they know how their chops work, but in actuality don't have much of a clue.

3. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I actually have no clue, but I do know that if whatever your doing produces a full sound, and you have some range-not saying high C but at least both octaves starting at low G and your not mashing your lips, everything is really just effortless then your doing nothing wrong except making up a head game

4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I agree with trickg, he could have written my response. When it comes to the mechanics of trumpet playing, I am far too busy listening to what comes out of my horn to pay much attention as to the mechanics of how I am doing it. I have the same experience when asked what features I like in a mouthpiece. I can play a mouthpiece and judge how I like it, but sending off to a manufacturer like Monette, Warburton, or Reeves to have a piece tailored to my taste, I would not know what I wanted.

5. BigDave

BigDave New Friend

Aug 9, 2013
    Andromeda Galaxy
    Anthony, you hear the sound in your head, and your body figures out what to do to get it.

If you start with the body, you are doing it backwards.

In general, I find you don't get the sound by figuring out the chops, you get the chops by figuring out the sound.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Nominated for post of the week - simply stated, but directly to the point, and from my perspective, 100% on the mark.

7. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    I forgot to mention I have a teacher, and he is good I had many different teachers and all of them had different opinions on how to
    make an emboucher, one teacher just told me just play" so May question is or rather statement is what is the correct way or is there no exactly right way , BTW thank you for your input, Anthony

8. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Now that's got to be it "! I remember when I first started playing I used to listen to Al Hirt and played along with the
    album and I didn't now anything about playing correct like you said the chops figure out how to make the sound, Thank you