Trumpet after flugelhorn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Robbrand, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Robbrand

Robbrand Piano User

Dec 29, 2014
    Cape Town, South Africa
    I recently acquired my first flugelhorn, a 1960s-vintage Boosey & Hawkes Imperial. I'll report back on this horn in more detail later, because it has some interesting idiosynchracies, but for now, suffice it to say that it has a lovely open blow and and a beautiful mellow tone (along with some intonation issues that are fairly easily remedied by pulling out the tuning slides and lipping the rest). I use a Bach-equivalent 5c flugelhorn mouthpiece, while my trumpet mouthpiece is a 3c. I'm finding that if I start my practice session on the flugelhorn, doing some warm-ups, long notes, slurring exercises etc., when I switch over to the trumpet my sound seems to be much better and I feel less pressure on my lips. It just feels like the trumpet has less resistance. Could that be because the more open flugel encourages me to blow through the instrument better? Or is it because I'm switching from a slightly smaller mouthpiece to a larger one? Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience?

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Interesting observation.

I have not noticed it on Flugel/trumpet/cornet swapping as much, but I do notice something similar from Trom to trumpet, if I have been playing trombone for a while, then have to switch on the run to trumpet - certainly the amount of air being used is a definite contributor.

Congrats on the new Flugel.

3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    There's probably something in this, though putting your finger on the true cause and effect might be a bit tricky.

I've been switching between a Wick 2 and Breslmair G2 (a very deep Viennese 'funnel' for rotaries) recently with much the same impression of developing a more open feel on the Wick. Whatever the reason, I don't think it's coincidence.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    When I was in HS, the school owned a couple of what I believe I've heard referred to as Eb "Peck Horns" - looked like a euphonium, only smaller, and with a mouthpiece sized somewhere between a trumpet and a trombone/euphonium mouthpiece.

Ah - here we go - found a wiki for the Eb Alto horn:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alto_horn

My buddy and I would drag those horns out and mess around on them before pep bands, and after messing around on those, it always felt like I could blow the walls down once I picked up my trumpet. I think it does have something to do with the more open blow, which causes you to utilize your air better in order to play it with a good, strong full sound.

5. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I get the same when I play the baritone for a while then go to trumpet

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I couldn't do it with baritone or trombone - the mouthpiece was enough bigger that it made it more difficult to transition back, but the alto horn mouthpiece was small enough that it never seemed to feel weird going back to trumpet from the alto horn.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I've played my Tenor Horn with a trumpet mouthpiece while I was waitingfor the Denis Wick 5C to turn up for the Tenor Horn - I too find a positive outcome if I start with the Tenor Horn and then switch to the trumpet.

I've also discovered that the Harrelson B6 MP I use in my Bravura works better for me than my Monette B6 - whe inserted into my Getzen Eterna Classic 900 - I'd somehow never tried that combination before.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    All I know is when I play my flugelhorn... I sound great. Then when I switch to the trumpet, I sound great.... There you have it... Life is great.

bumblebee likes this.
  9. redintheface

redintheface Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2010
    Bath, UK
    And that, ladies and gentlemen, is all you need to know about trumpet players. We're awesome. And we know it.

Thanks, Gary!

10. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Don't Worry my friend.
    Al Cass has it all! Patented:Patent US2917964 - Brass instrument mouthpiece - Google Patents
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]