Trumpet age

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Wlfgng, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    The more a string insturment is played the better and better the sound of the instrument becomes.

Does the same hold true fo trumpets? or does the sound stay the same? or does it diminish?

Any thoughts?

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    It depends on how much it was played and how well it was maintained, trumpets are made of brass[metal] and metal does wear down with use,the lead pipes can have a tendency to pit[corrode],I don`t think the age of the horn matters one way or the other if you find good keep it be it old or new.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I believe that trumpets GENERALLY get worse with age. The valve compression deteriorates. I firmly believe that the PLAYER gets more used to the instrument over time and THAT makes for better synergy.

As far as the resonance patterns in the horn go, my stock Bach 229H C trumpet from the mid 70s is every bit as out of tune as it was when I bought it, so that doesn't change either.

What does change over time is the TLC during production and sonic ideals of the company. That will account for certain players preferences for vintage instruments.

I have a rotary Bb built in 1938. It still sings and is one of my favorites - in spite of the leaky valves. My Bachs got overhauled every 6 years or so because of valve/silverplate/laquer/leadpipe wear. I never have experienced a rag to riches overhaul except a Spada tuning bell mod to a C trumpet. That is the only time I will claim night and day - not because of the sound or blow, but because of the intonation - no alternate fingerings necessary for normal play!