Trumpet and Bell Choir

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, May 30, 2006.

1. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    Ever heard of an "easy" piece for trumpet and bell choir? I'm not an advanced player, but I can find a small church bell choir to play with and have really always wanted to do that. So, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Trax

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I'm going to move this to General Discussion because I think the general population can better serve you.

Folks?

ML

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I haven't heard of anything direct but my wife (and daughter) used to play in a bell choir. I would have suggested any piece for trumpet with piano accompaniment but I know that bell music is written with the parts "well-distributed"! You might have to do something "custom" for yourself or possibly work from the bell choir's music and put your own solo line in.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    OK, just talked to my wife about this and she says that bell choir music looks just like any other keyboard music... the players have to be reading and counting like crazy to pick "their" notes out of the melee and play them at the right time. So you should talk to the bell choir and see if there's something fairly easy in the way of trumpet with piano accompaniment and make sure that the range fits within the bells that the choir has available.

5. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    I'm actually looking for specific pieces written for trumpet and bell choir. Is there such an animal?

Thanks,

6. bp

bp New Friend

Jul 5, 2004
    I didn't know of any works for trumpet and bell choir, so I posed your question to the composers of SCI (Society of Composers Inc.) and here are the suggestions that I have received so far, including their email addresses:

Charles Savage: [email protected]
    "I have a piece for Soprano, trumpet and 3 octave handbells. It's a Gloria, and is approximately 5 1/2 to 6 minutes in length (depending on the tempo). Text is in Latin. The handbell part could be expandable to 5 if the director needs to."

Daniel Adams: [email protected]
    "I don't have one in my catalog, but it sounds like a fascinating idea! If you could give me the info, I will consider it."

And Gary Mosse ([email protected]) has started a piece.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck,

Rob

7. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    bp,

Thanks for your help! I really didn't know if there were any pieces out there, but this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch. I will check them out.

Later,

8. bp

bp New Friend

Jul 5, 2004
    Another interested composer! (must have just read my SCI post)

"I might be interested in writing a short piece for trumpet and bell choir. In terms of being from Massachusetts, I might be interested in pursuing a Massachusetts Cultural Council grant to write one. Thanks, Jim Bohn ([email protected])"
    _

Please let me know if you wind up with any new tunes!

Rob