Trumpet and Clarinet together?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by knotty, Jul 6, 2009.

1. knotty

knotty New Friend

Jun 8, 2009
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Since becoming interested in the trumpet for the first time and music in general again, I got out my long idle clarinet today and was wondering if the two instruments complement each other embouchure wise? hopefully I'll be able to play both without any problems.

Thanks..knotty

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Both instruments do a wonderful job complementing each other!
    heaven and hell
    wood and metal
    ying and yang

As far as your chops go, there should be no issue because you blow on one and suck on the other.

Knotty,
    any two instruments can be mixed. You just need twice the practice time - or be content with half as good.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    No, not anymore than recorder or oboe. With a brass instrument the lip is the reed; (a reed instrument is, in Vulganospeak, "honked" rather than played). You'll be using some face muscles (not really the right ones for trumpet) and fingers, ears, lungs and such, so yeah, as a musician you might see some benefit, and have fun too, but you will lose significant cool points.

Ever see an angel playing a clarinet?

4. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    :evil:

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    :huh:

Traitor! Knotty, now you don't have an excuse to blow the clarinet player's ears off...that's no fun

:x

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi knotty,
    I dabble with both as well, including some sax (Tenor and soprano) - for me the fingering on the clarinet is more difficult.(Listen to Rowuk's advice - you will find it difficult to find the time to practice both, trumpet needs the more time IMO.

It does not affect the trumpet embouchure, and both work ok together. I use the lips over the teeth as I cannot stand the vibrations on the teeth, and I do not like the pads on top (I use a Selmer clear clarinet mouthpiece). I also like the sound that I get with this. Check out Stan Getz (I know... it is sax) but he used both set ups, and liked the lip over teeth as a preference.

The lip over teeth can do some damage to the inner part of the lip. My advice is to begin with the pads on top of the Clarinet mouthpiece, and use your teeth on top. And as per the trumpet, get a good teacher.

7. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Clarinet............the devil's instrument
    Trumpet...........instrument of the angels

8. DanZ_FL

DanZ_FL Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2009
    Clearwater, Florida
    Clarinet...........Squidward's instrument

9. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User