Trumpet and Clarinet together?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by knotty, Jul 6, 2009.

1. tutin_trumpeta

tutin_trumpeta Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2008
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Never heard of a clarinet complementing a trumpet (they normally complain we're too loud).... could happen tho....

oh, wrong end of the stick... sorry

Nick

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I seem to remember reading that Raphael Mendez, the fantastic trumpeter was also a very accomplished clarinetist. Didn't Maynard Ferguson also have more than a passing ability on the Sax?

OLDLOU>>

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Robert Rother from Mnozil Brass is playing both trumpet and sax...seems to be rather popular.

4. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Could it be like the people who bang their heads against
    a wall simply because it feels so good when you stop?

:-?

5. knotty

knotty New Friend

Jun 8, 2009
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Thanks for the replies, I used to play clarinet many years ago so picking it up again is pretty fast, just a refreshing on the fingering mostly.

The progress on the trumpet is pretty slow (3 weeks into it) and will take some time before I can play enough notes (with good tone) to start playing simple tunes.

Another thing is the sound level, here in SF all the houses are stuck together and I'm sure they can hear the trumpet plenty loud next door on both sides so, I practice the trumpet during the day and play the clarinet in the evenings.

I just mainly wanted to make sure the two instruments would not hurt each others embouchure development somehow.

Hey my status is an old guy with very little musical skill, so, the aspirations are very low, if I can just get to playing simple tunes, like traditional hymns, that's all I want and I'm happy. Rest of the time, I'm out doing long distance cycling. :lol:

knotty

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Move to Haight Ashbury, learn a couple Grateful Dead songs and play all day and night. Nobody should complain.

Have fun!

7. knotty

knotty New Friend

Jun 8, 2009
    San Francisco, Ca.
    The good old Haight, I used to watch Janis Joplin singing in the Panhandle in the mid 1960's, just before she became well known.

8. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    How many still know Phill Lesh was a college music major, violin, and jazz TRUMPET?...........Oh, let me back up.... Phil Lesh played/plays electric Bass for the Grateful Dead. Obviously, Phil inspired their live improv practices they were so famous for.

I miss seeing them. They often played Buffalo, NY, on the 4th OF July. When I lived there, it was simple to go. There is a 2 CD live recording, "Trucking off to Buffalo" A whole concert in Buff on the 4th....souvenir.....anyway, since I learned Phil Lesh was a trumpet Jazz major, I watch and listen.... the closest I hear of a trumpet in any Dead songs, so far, is of Jerry Garcia playing guitar. Yes, I don't know what this electronic apparatus is called. It is pink, oval shaped, and a guitar player in a band I was in used to have fun mimicking me with it and his guitar sounding like a trumpet through it.....

Trumpet and clarinet together? Yes, in it's limitations. They have their place together in music, but branch apart abruptly.

9. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    I just bought my oboe-playing wife, as either a weird gift or a cruel joke, a C melody saxophone. (Hey, it was cheap. Cheaper than a Bb tenor that she is interested in.) I just tried it out last night and had tremendous fun honking away on it. (Look at me, I can play the sax-o-phony!) How is that not cool? :-)

My wife is always pointing out various bits of angel-bearing art where they are, according to her, playing the oboe. Could be a clarinet for all I know, or a schawm... I'm no theologian, but it seems to me that if angels are in your area bearing trumpets, big changes are coming!

10. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    Where do they branch apart? Trumpets and clarinets are together in Concert Band, Orchestra, it was one of the original jazz instruments along with trumpet. The only genres the clarinet can't follow the trumpet seem to be rock and ska.