Trumpet and different priorities?????

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by stfnylim, Aug 10, 2015.

1. stfnylim

stfnylim New Friend

Sep 8, 2014
    California
    I was asking about getting a trumpet tutor, and then my sisters said that it's more worth it to get an SAT (SAT is a test & if you get a good score it will help get into a better college) tutor with that money instead. I thought against it at first, but I realized that's kind of true, but what do I do?

Well the people on this website will probably have people who makes a living off of trumpet so it will probably be a high priority,but to the poeple who lives a life with trumpet as a hobby,I wanted to ask: What are YOUR different priorities?
    Do you go all out with the trumpet because you believe that you should try hard and put effort into anything you do?
    Or do you just put off practicing when you have a book you want to read or anything else that interests you?
    Some people say that it's good try new things in highschool, but how do you treat these "new things"?

I just want to see some perspectives because I don't exactly know how to treat the trumpet.

2. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Well, I am still in school. I do have to face exams {MAJOR ONES, that stay in your profile.}
    I advise you that till the exam period you could just doodle on the trumpet and just put your money in your exam tutor.
    When the exam is over, you can do as MANY trumpeting as you like.
    My parents always said, to do your studies well and then I can have a good time.
    It is true. After my exams, I feel much more relaxed.
    WHAT I ADVISE YOU:
    Just do your trumpet practice and put your money in exam tutoring.
    After the exams, just relax and have a great time with your trumpeting.
    Those results will affect your job in the future and it is a academic record so, do well.
    Best wishes to your exams and trumpeting :D
    -BBM

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    When I took the Scholastic Aptitude Test back in the day the idea was to test what a student knew without "studying" for it. Do you seriously need a tutor? How are your grades in math and English? If they are below average, then a tutor for that test might be a good idea, although I consider that a form of "cheating."

If you are "stupid" in English and math, then either forget the S.A.T. or try sneaking your way to good marks with a tutor. If you have normal collegiate kind of intelligence, the S.A.T. will record that without a tutor.

Your call.

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    There are so many different approaches to life out there that you're unlikely to find too much consensus here.

For myself, I have 16+ waking hours a day of which I can surely spare 1 or 2 for something as positive and life enhancing as trumpet practice. Obviously, about half of my time is lost to work, but that still leaves a fair bit for recreation. Over the years, I've tended to shed activities that were less positive (chiefly heading for the nearest bar at the first opportunity; playing computer chess; watching absolute pap on television etc). That freed up a lot of time.

As a general approach to life, I tend to follow the old maxim "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well". Not for the sake of showing off to people (not these days), but from the understanding that our time here is limited, so we owe it to ourselves to give it our best shot in everything we do.

barliman2001 likes this.
  5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    It's getting boring to write "Put Seth's comments onto a card and re-read them every evening, then put them under your pillow, because they are worth their weight in gold." But it's true.

Sethoflagos likes this.
  6. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Scoring solid on the SATs can help determine what school you will be able to get into, and also impact how you might qualify for financial aid, scholarships, etc. You have not indicated what your intended major will be in college or whether or not you have determined that yet, but unless you are sure that you want to pursue a career as a performing musician ( and possibly even if that is your intent) I would prioritize scoring well on the SATs foremost (along with doing well in your current studies).

College in the U.S. can easily cost $50,000 a year or more for a private University all tolled. If you can knock $10 or $20k or more off that price tag through outstanding academic achievement then it will save you a lot in the long run, as well as provide more College choices from which you can select.

To answer your question about my own priorities; my top priority is to be there for my family in healthy body and mind, followed by earning a living to achieve financial security, followed by my hobbies and interests among which is playing the trumpet.

7. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Get the SAT prep books and work through them meticulously. They are worth their weight in gold. A good HS transcript and high SAT scores will give you leverage in negotiating academic scholarship money from colleges/universities. Yes, negotiate - never, ever immediately accept the first financial aid offer from a school. Real or not, let them know at least one other school has offered a better package. They may offer more or they stand pat. You won't, however, be able to do this with so-so SAT scores.

8. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    I don't see them as mutually exclusive, necessarily.

If you DO aspire to making a living in music, chances are that path goes through some level of music education at the college level. So you'll need solid SAT scores. Do they even still do the PSAT ? What did you scores tell you ?

For that matter, where do you currently stand regarding your music ? How long have you played, do you receive any level of instruction ? I'm presuming nothing more than the school band director, and that's someone you might ask - not about your choice, but about your aspirations for a career in music and to help form a path. The choice between SAT and a private teacher is actually pretty small in comparison to finding some direction for your future aspirations.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    There is a world of difference between when I was moving out of high school and into my future in the late 1980s and now. I know that my sister and my niece went to great lengths in both time and money to get her going with tutors for taking the ACT test - that seems to be the college placement exam of choice where they live in Alabama. The goal was for her to score a 33 so she could get a full-ride and get into a doctoral program for physical therapy.

My question to you would be in regard to where you want to go to school. If you are academically on the cusp of being good enough to get into a top-tier school, and trumpet is a secondary thing, put the money toward the SAT tutoring. If regardless of your score on the SAT you'll be going to the community college down the road...? It's all up to you.

My daughter didn't score well enough on the math portion of the SAT to avoid having to take the Accuplacer exam at the community college down the road. Both of my kids actually opted to go to the community college first rather than to go to a 4 year university, and for a few reasons.

1. It costs less. WAAAAAAY less.
    2. Neither one were quite sure what they wanted to do - why spend the extra money fumbling around at a much more expensive college when they weren't quite sure?
    3. Once the AA degree was/is attained, it gurantees acceptance into the school they do want to go to (in their case, Towson University in Maryland) and the college will accept every credit on the AA degree, lock stock and barrel.
    In my case, I put all of my eggs in the trumpet basket - I've personally never taken either an ACT or SAT exam. I went directly from high school to the Army band program. It depends on where your priorities lie.

Personally, even though I've structured my whole life around the ability to continue to play music and gig, I think that for you, your money would be better spent on the SAT tutor for this simple reason: If you have to ask us about how important trumpet is in your life, you should focus instead on your academics. That's how I see it anyway.

10. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Excellent point! The days of going to college just for the sake of going to college (at least in the US) are long gone. Tuition costs have reached a point that unless you focus on a curriculum that is in demand and technical, you are not likely to see a benefit in terms of monetary returns to make it a worthwhile endeavor (unless you or your family are wealthy enough to foot the bill without it even being a financial burden to you and your reason for achieving an education are esoteric).

The advice that I gave my son who was going through these choices not long ago was to find a course of study which leads to a career that you like, and that is also in demand, preferably something that teaches you a skill in terms of HOW to do something; medicine, engineering, programming, etc.........

He chose Computer Security which has worked out well for him in terms of placement, and he seems quite happy doing something that he likes, and now has the time and money to pursue hobbies and interests that appeal to him such as music, in his free time.