Trumpet and flute practice back-to-back.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Harry, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Harry

Harry New Friend

Jun 14, 2015
    I am a come-back player.

I am (mostly) retired and have plenty time to practice. Currently I am in the mode of lots of practice but by necessity, resting as much as, or sometimes even more than, I play.

But of course I am also impatient. So in-between the trumpet practice sessions I am going to practice a flute. I just ordered a student model (on the cheap). It should get here early next week.

So here is my question: Has any of you ever done this and if so, did the flute playing effect your trumpet embouchure in a negative or positive sense; or did it even matter?

In my amateur way of thinking I concluded that the shape of the chops is so different between the horn and the flute that is should really not have any negative impact.

Notice though that I said “amateur”.

I would love to hear some feedback on this by those that have actually tried it.

2. treble_forte

treble_forte Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2007
    N. Ireland
    I shed bass as well as tpt.

I earn a living between playing and teaching these instruments (guitar too). Most of my gigs are tpt.

I learn a lot by shedding bass learning tunes working on chord tone resolutions etc... It transfers, for the music I play.

As for the physical. IMO nothing besides playing the horn transfers.

Mike

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi Harry,

You're not "impatient". Your plan to maximize your efforts by doing something musical while resting your chops. Sounds good to me.

I don't play the flute. But along with the trumpet, I play chromatic harmonica, which I play in-between my trumpet practice sessions. For me, I see it as a positive. It doesn't hurt my trumpet chops one bit.

Mike

4. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I've played both. Playing flute after playing trumpet was a good way to stimulate my brain and continue making music after my chops were tired. For me, playing flute was a no-effort activity as far as my embouchure was concerned; the challenge was the fingerings.

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I play both. They're not a problem to play alternately.

One caution, though. When you go higher on trumpet, you are likely to tighten the muscles around your mouth and might contract those muscles right in the middle, vertically and horizontally, of your lips. When this becomes second-nature, you need to avoid this automatic tendency when you go higher on the flute. Playing higher on the flute calls for a different kind of embouchure action. The trumpet one works counter to what the flute lips need to be doing. Don't let the one influence the other.

Likewise, when you play louder on trumpet, that might call for some embouchure muscle tightening to hold the aperture in place (i.e. not to forcefullu blow it out of shape) and this is also contrary to the flute position when playing loudly.

Just make sure you learn the flute independent of the trumpet and don't let the one affect the other.

Have fun. I love the flute.

6. Harry

Harry New Friend

Jun 14, 2015
    Wow guys, here I had not expected any feedback at all. Instead I get a whole bunch in matter of minutes and all your comments make such perfectly sense to me.
    Thanks so much to all of you.

Yeah, the fingering ........... I just downloaded the fingering chart .......... a lot more "buttons" than the tpt ....... and here I thought the fourth valve on my picc was hard to learn ....... LOL .......

Cheers,
    Harry