trumpet and french horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetnick, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I doubled on french horn for 3 years in high school and everything worked out for me. I'd still be playing french horn if I had one...they are beautiful instruments. As it's been said already, they're obviously two different instruments and have to be approached differently. Other than that, there shouldn't be any problems!

Good luck,
    Kujo

2. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    The horn utilizes more of a "shift" in the embouchure when changing register. Meaning that they take the mouthpiece off the chops, set a little firmer and then ascend to whatever note in the upper register they desire. Or vice versa they re-set to loosen their chops when going down low. This is because the horn goes much lower than the trumpet does on a similar, small mouthpiece rim. So you have to find a really loose setting to get low, but usually that setting is too loose for register as you climb up the staff.

While you may re-set a tad on the trumpet to change register it isn't as pronounced nor as necessary.

Trombonists often use a "shift" as well. In fact most serious lead trombone players in big band have trouble with their lower register connection. Learning two techniques to pull it off.

Another tip: The whole register of the French Horn can be played on the B flat side. In fact my own horn doesn't have the F side at all. They call this a "single B flat horn" and it can play any orchestral part I've ever seen.

The F side really is irrelevant but don't let a "serious" French Horn player hear you say that. They can be so full of themselves.

3. St. Rugglin

St. Rugglin New Friend

Dec 9, 2011
    Low Pass Oregon
    I played both in high school including mellophone (fun and loud). To be totally truthful, I wish I could afford a good double horn, I’d probably only use my cornet when traveling. :-oGasp!:shock: Don’t get me wrong, I love playing my cornet but there is something about the horn that makes my heart soar. It’s also a great deal of fun being the only brass for chamber music. I don’t think you will have a problem switching from trumpet to horn, can’t imagine it would work well the other way around. Oh, there’s the trumpet ego. ;-)

Yes you can play the Bb side, but the timbre isn’t quite there.

Local357, love the quote, I frequently piss off my porch. I live out in the Redneck Shire.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  4. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

The thing is that the overtones heard on the F side do not project well into the audience. They may sound great on the stage but won't be heard past the flute section. So I say that the B flat side is all that is necessary to learn. So long as you keep it to yourself and not upset the prissy tight wearing hornists.

Taking this idea about projection over to the trumpet? The same is also true. We can notice this more on ensemble passages vs. solos. In ensemble, particularly loud phrases one can play with a total screamer/shallow mouthpiece and not rile up the music director at all. So long as you have good control and not play too loud. In fact with a shallow piece in ensemble mezzo forte or louder sections you can BACK OFF the volume and let the screamer piece project. Saving your chops.

Conversely this can not be done well in exposed solo passages at small volume. In these I like to use the biggest mouthpiece in my bag.

The trick is to make sure no one sees your screamer piece. Cat Anderson used to cover his with a hankerchief.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Way back in 5th grade I started on a school provided non-compensating French horn and still have the Farkas French horn mpc I played it with. For two reasons I gave it up albeit I liked the sound: (1) Horrors to replace a broken cord on the rotary valves, and (2) I bought a pre-owned stencil trumpet. Still, I like the sound and now also play a Yamaha marching mellophone (F) as with adapter as I sometimes play with the Farkas mpc although I regularly now play it with a Larry Kerchner-IYM mpc. I'd need a to update the sound comparison with a French horn, but for now I don't believe it is the same but closer than a flugel and I cover the French horn parts with it to my satisfaction.

6. St. Rugglin

St. Rugglin New Friend

Dec 9, 2011
    Low Pass Oregon
    I agree the Bb side is necessary. The partials are too close in the upper register of the horn. The fingering for C and D are both open. That's tricky.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Not really tricky, just the experience of lipping the separation to center each.

8. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    I don't believe so.

9. St. Rugglin

St. Rugglin New Friend

Dec 9, 2011
    Low Pass Oregon
    Tricky-practice…still not as easy as having separate fingerings. With a good ear, lips and hand stopping you don’t really need the valves at all. I soloed once on a piece that was played without valves, I blue ribbon-ed. I think the horn is a lot of fun to play and I’m looking forward to having my parents ship out an old beater I stored in their garage when I went off to the Air Force, many years ago. It’s a real POS but hey I’m a casual player. I’ve got a Conn 16E Mellophonium as well. It plays like crap so I’m thinking of giving it the Stan Kenton treatment to fix the intonation.

10. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    Got my double horn fingering chart (I played a single F horn in high school) and my double horn, but after decades of disuse, the horn was damaged because its molded plastic case (I've never really liked those) somehow became warped. When I have some cash, I'll have to take the horn to a tech, and get a different case!!