Trumpet and Mellophone

Discussion in 'Horns' started by pie, Nov 17, 2016.

1. pie

pie New Friend

Nov 17, 2016
    I regularly play and perform on trumpet in concert settings, but I was considering learning and practicing mellophone to play during my next college marching band season. I would be spending time practicing both instruments throughout the year. Would regularly practicing both be detrimental to the quality of my trumpet playing (or possibly lead to bad practices) in concert settings, and should I not begin practicing mellophone during concert season?

Thanks

2. veery715

veery715 Fortissimo User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    You can do both, if you want to. But playing a second instrument will invariably take some of the time and energy away from the first one. I play a mellophone(ium) sometimes for jazz combo stuff and I don't really practice it much at all. The key shift can be confusing, though.

3. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    Why? They march trumpets, why not do that? It's not like you're my bassoon-playing son, or my oboe-playing wife. (To my eye, the marching oboe looks exactly like a sousaphone.)

Tell us more about your motivation, and we'll be glad to spew forth opinion after opinion...

4. pie

pie New Friend

Nov 17, 2016
    I think a better way is would the differing embouchures required to play either instrument interfere with each other or mix?, or would the brighter sound of the trumpet interfere with the darker and mellow sound of the marching mellophones?

My motivation for learning the mello would be to play it in college band season

5. veery715

veery715 Fortissimo User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    If your trumpet embouchure us fairly well developed you will be OK. If not, then you may be better off sticking to trumpet. Do they not want you to march with the trumpet, or do they need a mellophone more?

6. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    I think you missed the essence of my question. Why something other than the trumpet, which is an excellent choice for marching and which you already play? Why mellophone, and not the marching baritone, say? (Several greats were excellent on both trumpet and trombone, such as Ferguson and Gillette, so clearly that pair's not an impediment.) Once you can articulate this, maybe we can be more helpful. The mellophone is essentially useless off the field, or so it seems, so it's a relatively poor 'investment' of your time.

7. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    And jazz trumpet great Carl Saunders played mellophone with the Stan Kenton Orchestra.

8. veery715

veery715 Fortissimo User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    When I break out the mellophonium at a jazz venue, folks go nuts They LOVE it. Not to say it isn't a bear to play in tune, but the effort is worth it. So useless off the field, not in my opinion. That said, I don't make a living playing music.

9. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Piano User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    Correct answer. If memory serves, so did Tony Scodwell.

10. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Nah. Those guys played Conn 16E mellophoniums. I'd assume the OP is talking about the uglier marching mellophone, rather than a true mellophone or a mellophonium.