Trumpet and Sax

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jeeper31, Jan 13, 2014.

1. jeeper31

jeeper31 New Friend

Jan 18, 2011
    I am playing in a party rock band. We do bar gigs and some private parties. We just prepared a Billy Joel Medley in which the last song is Scenes From an Italian Restaurant. I do not play the sax but I have fooled around on it when I was a kid (48 now). Anyway, I took it out, played it for a few days, took a lesson and now I can play both sax solos and will be performing them. Does anybody have any experience playing the sax and the trumpet? My lips do swell when i play the sax for awhile however, I am just playing this one song so I don't think it will be a problem. The rest of the Medley I am either playing keyboards, acoustic guitar or trumpet.

Thoughts/ideas/opinions.

Thanks.

2. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    I played sax for quite a while before stopping entirely to focus on trumpet. I sold all of my saxes (save one unsellable tenor) and bought trumpets. I found my tenor embouchure loosened my trumpet embouchure. Things got "messy." But if it's only one song, I think you'll be fine. Should be fun!

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    You'll be OK.
    Good luck.

There are several players I know that play both trumpet and saxes.
    Enjoy your multi-instrumental abilities.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I covered the sax and flute solos when we were in between sax players in a rock band ... The only time I noticed a problem with my trumpet playing was when I neglected the trumpet ..

oh, and if you want to get the sax to growl you hum while you are playing it

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I play saxes and trumpet, as well as Horn. If your lips are swelling after playing the tenor, it might be because you are unconsciously tightening your embouchure (a la brass instruments) or biting down and, therefore, damaging the muscles a bit, causing them to swell. Tied in with that is that you just might not be spending as much time on the sax or taking it as seriously as you should. Just because it's secondary doesn't mean that you can get by, by giving it short shrift during your practice time. Do some appropriate exercises. Also, you might spend a little time, maybe on alternate days, practicing switching back and forth from one instrument to the other.

There's good precedence for playing both sax and trumpet: Kenny Dorham, Benny Carter, Ira Sullivan, and Bill Prince.

6. jeeper31

jeeper31 New Friend

Jan 18, 2011
    Thanks everyone. Awesome advice and much needed. Tried growling, not as easy as it sounds.

Keep it coming.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    the pitch is important on the growl

8. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    I play saxes, flute, and a little bit the cornet, they are three different worlds. It is not because you like red shirts that you cannot wear a white one.

9. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    No, the growl is never really easy. I play both regularly. If playing both with correct technique they really don't interfere

10. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX