Trumpet and Sax

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jeeper31, Jan 13, 2014.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Tasty. Worth the misunderstanding so that you could post this.

I wish she'd quit sticking her tongue out when she's being so cute. Reminds me of my last GF who is Russian. Norwegians, Ruskies, they all look alike anyway, right? :-)

2. marsuleu

marsuleu Piano User

Mar 30, 2009
    Bucharest , Romania
    I play trumpet and sax also...
    trumpet is the main, sax is only for fun ...
    If I play sax first, I can't play trumpet after for half an hour , until my embouchure comes back to normal - I mean that I feel my lips very weird in the trumpet mpc ... BUT ..there is a positive efect : holding the sax mpc tight it makes my chops stronger...like the pencil exercise. I realized that If I play sax daily , I have better endurance when I play trumpet. unfortunately , I do not play sax every day...not even weekly ...like I said, is just for fun .

3. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Yes I have been doubling for nearly 25 years. The key is to keep both your trumpet chops and sax chops in shape. They use different muscle groups. If your lips swell have a bigger mouthpiece. You may loose some range. Playing lead on the same gig as you are playing sax is probably not the best idea. Also pick a sax mouthpiece that is narrow when inserted in your mouth and doesn't pull your lips apart too much. I use a meyer 5 on alto, and a Vandoeren v16 with in a size 7 on tenor.

4. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    I use an Otto Link STM 8* on the alto saxophone and a Brancher J29TG on the tenor saxophone, reeds are about 3 and 3 1/2 strength, yes the saxophone needs more muscles, it doesn't mean the lips can't be flexible, you can talk, eat, kiss, lick... You can play !

5. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    Glenn Zotolla is another great trumpeter who also plays sax incredibly well. Glenn and his brother Bobby are both monster trumpeters. Their dad was Frank Zotolla who designed and manufactured really nice mouthpieces.
    Doesn't James Morrison also play sax? A better question would be what doesn't James Morrison play?

6. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    Yes, he does.

7. ricecakes230

ricecakes230 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    Most important: Look sexy when you play that sax.

8. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    For the cornet I've got a Bach 6, it was quite comfortable, more than the mouthpiece which came with the instrument, I think it's maybe a 3C, bigger than the Bach 6, I've tried it a couple of hours again, both seem to be too little for me, I feel more comfortable with the supposed 3C anyway...
    Yesterday night I ordered a Schilke 16, I hope I made the good choice, my lips are really too strong, so if you are a saxophonist I think it's better to use a bigger mouthpiece.
    Now I really understand why thr sound didn't come properly from my cornet, there wasn't enough place for my lips.
    When you can really breath, the throat can be a problem too, on the Bach 6 it's too thin and there is too much resistance it means the sound is too bright, I really hate thin bright sounds, I prefer strong dark sounds.
    The 3C can be dark because of its throat, I hope the Schilke 16 will have the qualities I like.

9. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Lionel, if it doesn't work out, have a look at the Stork mouthpieces.

10. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    I don't know yet, I will tell you if it works for me or not.
    Stork ? I don't want to buy something which is more expensive than my cornet.:lol:
    Oh... There are not so expensive, same prices than Schilke mouthpieces...