trumpet and tongue piercing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daveblue222, Jul 29, 2010.

1. daveblue222

daveblue222 New Friend

Aug 19, 2009
    does having ones tongue pierced hinder playing the trumpet? now that im a bit more serious about playing i am thinking of removing it. i havent noticed any severe problems but i havent been playing long either

:play:

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Piercing can destroy nerves for what that is worth. If you notice no difference, then for your level of playing there is none.

I could imagine that fast, multiple articulation or extreme high register could be influenced by the presence of a foreign body near the tip of the tongue.

3. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Vat thoundths Painthul!

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Of course your articulation could be preceeded by a very light 'tinking' sound - that might be interesting - wouldn't the Band Director be puzzled, although he might put you in as third chair with the other triangles. :D

5. daveblue222

daveblue222 New Friend

Aug 19, 2009
    hahah yes it was painful and i nearly passed out. i hadnt even picked up a trumpet when i had it done but now im starting to wonder.

ted:- yes i do get that tinking sound when tonguing, its not loud but i always notice it lol

i shall probably just take it out now, had it for ten years!

plus i would also like to keep my teeth and not have them worn away

:play:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

In my opinion there is definitely no benefit to keeping it in, and it could potentially have a negative impact on your playing/progress, so it makes the most sense to take it out.

If you're considering removing it anyway you could use the trumpet as an "excuse" to do it...

7. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA

Good idea, gb...

Keeps the peer pressure from "peeps into piercings" easier to deal with when one blames the removal of the tongue piercing on wanting to be the best trumpet player one can be. Gives you a reasonable "out" daveblue222 and should help you to play the trumpet better with less wear on the teeth.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

8. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    rofl

9. porterjack

porterjack New Friend

Jul 30, 2010
    do the girls like it though ;)

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The guys like to think so - until they get DUMPED!

Believe me, if you need the piercing to get liked, you--------------------------might as well play trumpet! ROFL