Trumpet and trombone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by valejazz, Nov 26, 2007.

1. valejazz

valejazz New Friend

Dec 11, 2005
    Roma - Italia
    Hi everyone!

I often like to play the trombone but I noticed that if I play it before the trumpet my embouchure is then completely out of focus. No endurance, poor tone etc

Instead if I play the trombone at the end of the day, it's a very effective warm down.

Same happens if I just play the trombone for one day and the next go back to trumpet

So I guessed:

1 You can't go from the small trumpet mp to the larger bone one without consequences if you have to reverse the process the same day.

or

2 Trombone mp works on a larger area and the muscles envolved are not trained as the one inside the trumpet mp rim. Maybe studying more frequently the trombone would solve the problem.

I'd really like to switch from one to another as Michael Supnick does here in Roma...

Consider that when I take the trombone I study it (warm up, flexibility, scales) and not just blow some music...

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Valerio,
    it must be possible to switch at will as Tower of Power demonstrates on a regular basis.

I find that if you practice any switch in the practice room enough, it also works on stage. If I have done some heavy duty natural trumpet practice, I will often pick up my sons tuba and play for 15 or 20 minutes and then go back to the trumpet. The first couple of notes feel funny, but they sound OK. I do the same between the piccolo(smaller mouthpiece), flugelhorn (deep vee) and trumpet(standard) too.
    The human body is relatively easy to condition. You just need to take the time.

3. patdublc

patdublc Pianissimo User

Jul 20, 2006
    Salisbury, MD
    Vaughn Nark also switches between trumpet, valve trombone, and euphonium routinely. He spoke at length about this a few years back in an ITG Journal interview. You may want to check the archives to see if you can find it.

A very quick summary of what I remember is that you're going to have a lot of trouble if you do not prepare and practice properly. In other words, you just can't switch around on gigs and expect it to work if you haven't practiced that way. Please try to find the article as my paraphrase doesn't do it justice.

pat

4. ZeuSter

ZeuSter Pianissimo User

May 22, 2004
    Once you develop the embouchure on the Trombone , then switching back and forth is not an issue . I used to have the same concerns, but that weird chop feeling goes away with consistent practice on both instruments. Practicing long tones(on both instruments) is a very good way to develop
    both embouchures. Also after you develop your T-bone embouchure you should practicing going back and forth between the two .

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  5. valejazz

valejazz New Friend

Dec 11, 2005
    Roma - Italia
    I reduced the size of my trombone mp from 6.5AL to 7C and this seems to help a bit.

I'll also work to develop embouchure and switch on a regular basis.

I have not been able to find the Nark pdf about switching instruments...there are many about him in the ITG archives but I could not locate that one...

Thanks to everybody!

6. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere on the internet (helpful, I know) is an interview with Tom "Bones" Malone of the Late Show and Blues Brothers bands. He plays just about everything and talked about how to develop and mantain doubles, including trumpet and trombone. I think he said he thought of the two embouchures as being consentric circles, as in the center being in the same spot, not the top or bottom of the rim.

I feel your frustration. I love playing euphonium, but it makes my upper lip so puffy that my trumpet embouchure is gone for hours. I'd wish I could develop it as a double, but the cost to my trumpet playing is just too high. Ironically, the tuba hardly bothers my trumpet chops, but I don't really like playing the tuba. Oh well...

Jason.

7. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    When I owned and played a valve trombone, I used a baritone mpc, which was a bit smaller in diameter than most t-bone mpcs. I also seem to remember that Marcinkiewicz makes a crossover mpc that better helps those who switch between tpt and t-bone? Can't find it but perhaps it is the Marcinkiewicz ET5 Gillette model??

I suspect it is much like trumpet...the allure to over blow the t-bone mpc is very great. ;-)

Best of luck to you!

8. valejazz

valejazz New Friend

Dec 11, 2005
    Roma - Italia
    Got it: Ten Questions with Tom Bones Malone

9. valejazz

valejazz New Friend

Dec 11, 2005
    Roma - Italia

This model exists but there are no direct references to its use for doublers....Anyway it's a small one, like a Bach 12C and maybe a trumpet player should choose a mp not too far from the trumpet one..unless he is quite used to switching instruments..

10. Matt o-iii<O

Matt o-iii<O Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    I find It's easier to switch between instruments if I warm up on the smallest instrument I'll play for the day.
    I warm up on trumpet and find that it's then much easier to switch back and
    forth between them.

Matt.