Trumpet and Trombone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dantala, Dec 21, 2009.

1. dantala

dantala New Friend

Aug 11, 2005
    I have a thought to try and learn trombone or even tuba. I am wondering if it will cause a problem with my trumpet playing? Different em brochure and all. My first love is trumpet, but I would like to experiment.

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I play trumpet and double on tuba. It never affected my playing. I play in a band where I have to switch between trumpet and tuba between songs.

The word is Embouchure, not em brochure.

3. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I've been wanting to do this for years. I just bought a new 'bone and am starting to work. I was thinking the other day that sax players routinely play alto, tenor, soprano, and bari; often they play bass sax too; and double on clarinets, flutes, etc.

Playing low brass should be somewhat analogous to playing the sax family as far as I can figure.

Whatever, I'm going to do it anyway! =:-)

bigtiny

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Additional instruments just need ADDITIONAL practice time. If you have the time, go for it!

5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    It will make you a better all round musician. I admire that. As for me I cant even play one instrument to any ones satisfaction. Best wishes.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    1 instrument? the real question is - Are you happy with that one instrument?

I was thinking of a trombone, or clarinet as a double (I have no trombone, and the clarinet sits in the closet) -- I only have time to concentrate on the trumpet -- it takes all the musical ability I have to make that sound OK -- but I love it.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Did it about all the time in high school and forward. mello (Eb & F), bone, euph, tuba, and Suzy(BBb) because then it was necessary. Yes, it means practice on the instruments one is to play.

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Looks like dantala made one post a year ago and then "took a powder" (anybody remember this idiom?). He is not likely visiting here to see the responses.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's twice (so far), Larry has done that today! Wonder if he changed his wall calendar last year.:shock::lol: