Trumpet and Viola Duets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by KMRoark, Jun 4, 2011.

1. KMRoark

KMRoark New Friend

Apr 26, 2011
    My brother and I want to play a duet together for a family get to gether, and I can't find any duets online. Any Ideas of duets or wear to get them would be great. Also I'm not 100% sure that the two instoments would sound good together.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    when you find any duet that you both like-- then just play it. if it written for "dueling banjos", or piano and flute, or for whatever --- then MAKE IT YOUR OWN -- DEVELOP YOUR SOUND -- revamp it to the parts you want to play -- then play, be happy, and make music. YOU DON"T NEED a special recipe of music that is labeled viola and trumpet.

((ok - so I didnt' really find you any duets ---like you asked -- I just put forth an idea that every duet that you and your brother like -- will be fine))

3. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    In what key does a viola play? If it's Bflat, you can use any trumpet duet you have.
    If it isn't in Bflat, you can use a duet written for any Bflat instrument + an instrument written in the same key as a viola.
    Then there is the transposing option. Rewrite one of the parts.

EDIT: Since you're looking for actual duets for trumpet and viola: There won't be many of those around. It's a very unusual combination.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Vulgano Brother is THE expert for this combination.

Any combination works when it is for the family. I recommend "recognizable tunes". The kind that the family would tap their foot to.

5. KMRoark

KMRoark New Friend

Apr 26, 2011
    We had some of his old duets that we could transpose and play if we didn't find a duet anytime soon. Thanks for assuring my fears of the two instruments being uncommon together. I think that I'll be learning how to transpose soon. I'm not sure what a viola's key is but I think that it is C. I do like the idea of playing recognizable tunes, maybe I could write a duet with many songs in it with me and him playing back and forth. Good Ideas, I'll have to talk to my brother.

Thanks,
    Kevin

6. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    Kevin,
    Yes the viola is a C instrument. It is deeper or more base sounding than a violin. Trumpet and viola sound good together. The viola has a very natural alto voicing. Get any song book or sheet music for piano with the words for the lead and the other 3 parts. You can switch off playing lead and alto parts. I would transpose the trumpet part so you can play them together. There is a free program on the internet called "Score Writer" that you can down load. I would give you the link but I'm at work and can't do a search. You can drag and drop the notes and change keys to what you want. There may be some other free programs available that are even better. Transpose the trumpet part to a key 2 half steps up. If it is written in C transpose trumpet part to D. If it is writen in E transpose to F#. etc The family is going to love it!
    Good Luck
    Bobby

7. KMRoark

KMRoark New Friend

Apr 26, 2011
    Thank you so much. I can't wait to tell my brother. We are both advanced players so my family expects great music and this will help a lot.

What do you mean by the other three parts? I thought the piano read only two parts.

8. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    The piano plays all 4 parts (Soprano, Alto Treble Clef, Tenor, Base Base Clef) I struggle concentrating on 1 Part:D My hat is off to the piano players. I mentioned having the words as the lead part because some piano only music has the lead part drifting from the treble and base clefs and it is hard to follow.
    Good Luck
    Bobby

Here is the link to Muse Score
    http://musescore.org/

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011