Trumpet AND?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Hello,

More out of curiosity, playing/doing trumpet grades... I also love the sound of Horns (tenor, baritone, euphonium, french horn).

Is there any Horn one can play with trumpet or is the embouchure/work all entirely different and more hindering rather than progressive?

Can I just play trumpet for 1 song, put it down, grab a horn (1 of the above) and keep playing without any drama?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If you practice both horn and trumpet, yeah. On horn the mouthpiece is placed high on the lips, and it is really difficult for a trumpet player to get a proper horn sound, but we can scream on them. A more common double is valve trombone. If you want to play two instruments, fine, but you'll have to practice twice as much.

Good luck!

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO, the closest would be a flugelhorn followed by an F mellophone, the latter substituting for a French horn, but with same fingering as a trumpet. I don't know about a tenor horn, but the baritone, euphonium and even a slide trombone use the same size mouthpiece. I (and many others ) can double on one of these other than trumpet / cornet, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it while you are doing your trumpet grades. A true French horn is played left handed. I too like the sound of these other instruments as in addition, a tuba and Sousaphone on occasion. The crux is that doubling requires an additional like practice time on each instrument.

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    For 20 years I have played trumpet in big band and french horn in a symphony orchestra, I would not attempt to change instruments in the middle of a performance although I have mouthpieces with similar rims and play with similar embouchure. I have never had any complaints about my sound on either.

VB is right, you must practice both instruments to be good on them. The french horn is not an easy instrument, multi instrumentalist James Morrison does not play it.

Regards, Stuart.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I realize the OP is just asking out of curiosity. Good advice given.

For me, I double on chromatic harmonica in my jazz trio. I has absolutely no negative affect on my trumpet chops.

No, it's not one of the horns the OP suggested. But I can do what he asked ... I can put the trumpet down on a gig, play the next song on harmonica (and rest my trumpet chops), and pick up the trumpet on the next song without skipping a beat.

Mike

6. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I personally found it very hard to switch quickly between euphonium and trumpet in my brass band, and ended up not playing the trumpet for a few weeks at a time when I needed to practise the euphonium more for upcoming concerts or competitions. If I had been more intelligent about it I would probably have done better, but as it was I think I set my trumpet-playing progress back a bit. That was >20 years ago now, and recently I tried blowing a trombone which had a similar mouthpiece to the euphonium and was surprised (though I shouldn't have been) at how unfamiliar it felt.

--bumblebee

7. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    So one can enjoy the 2 at least?

So Im practicing on say Trumpet all the time, but some times (once a week) I go to church, I rather play the Euphonium say for a special item, with some nice wooly sounding solo.

That would be fine?

Dont have to change like one song 1 instrument, then 5 min later pick up other instrument, but today trumpet, tomorrow euphonium?

I like the Euphonium. Sounds very smooth.

If that works great, if not... No problem. I just admire the Horns.

8. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    Should be no problem the way you describe it, Gxman.
    Life is short, so have fun and enjoy your horns :-)

9. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    I played solo tenor horn in one brass band, cornet in another and trumpet in an Orchestra. Never found any problem playing different instruments. Did give up the tenor horn, to play flugel though.

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    In the past I played both trumpet and Horn in university and a military bands, but, only one or the other. Now, I play both weekly, but on different days. I've had no problems.

For one year, I played alto horn in a German town band, which, again, had no negative effect. For one semester at North Texas, I played trumpet in one lab band and trombone in another.

I have a friend who plays weekly, Horn in orchestra, trumpet or Horn in wind ensemble and alto horn in British styled brass band. He's a very good player on them all.

Give it a try and see how it works. Just be advised that, while brass instruments have certain fundamentals in common, the application can be horn-specific, so treat each one as a separate instrument.