trumpet angle holding

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dieteroni, Jan 10, 2017.

1. dieteroni

dieteroni Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2016
    at what angle do i hold a trumpet while playing it? i see a lot of players holding it a bit down, then some who hold in upright and some who hold it up into the air

2. Leslie Colonello

Leslie Colonello Pianissimo User

Dec 17, 2016
    Whatever produces the best sound will dictate your angle. Whatever allows your lips to vibrate efficiently, and the air flow to be unencumbered will dictate your angle. Don't cramp your neck and don't look at others, you are unique to what works for you.

3. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Piano User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    Can't beat that advice, and it didn't cost you a penny, dieteroni !

4. dieteroni

dieteroni Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2016
    yes, thank you so much i love this communty :-)!

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
    A little disclaimer: Some may look up Sergei Nakariakov, as an example for a low angle holding the horn. As far as I know, he had somekind of a car accident or something of the kind, which is the reason for holding the horn like that. Everybody story is different, so +1 for Leslie's comment. What counts is your sound and low tension body use.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Well maybe don't use the late Mile Davis' floor pointing technique as a textbook example of how to point.

But, there are some strict Marching Bands that demand a certain angle for conformity/uniformity. The best advise has been given, place it where you get the best sound. Teeth/jaw structure and alignment, your physique will all dictate an individual angle. Relax, don't tense the shoulders while playing, and don't stress over the angle.

7. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    There's a position up/down right/left that puts even pressure on your lips and allows the greatest amount of vibration and the fullest sound. It takes seconds to find. Use it.

8. MusicianOfTheNight

MusicianOfTheNight Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2016
    New York/Austria
    I have my trumpet almost straight out, and I also hold it angles to my right. But as long as you keep it semiparallel and your chops can still play, I think your fine.

9. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    All sorts of human frailty comes into this - overbite, underbite, lip shape, bad shoulders, and on and on. As they say above, comfortable and playable, and away you go.

10. adc

adc Pianissimo User

Jan 12, 2017
    Elizabethtown, Pa.
    It depends primarily on your two front upper teeth. The angle up and down or sideways will need to match your teeth and you adjust your head/neck angle to match. In my case, my right upper overlaps my left upper. Therefore I tend to hold the horn a bit to the left to get pressure on the top left tooth.