Trumpet angle

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by WHISTLEPIGSBAND, Feb 16, 2009.

1. WHISTLEPIGSBAND

WHISTLEPIGSBAND New Friend

Jan 20, 2009
    i have been playing trumpet for 35 years and for most of that time i have done my share of experimenting with different pieces & embouchures.
    i have recently made a change that seems to improve my playing. i have always played a little off center on my chops. slightly to the right. i have, however, always held the horn straight out from my face. after closely watching other players that play off center, i have noticed that most of them hold the horn at an angle. not an up or down angle, but an angle that points the horn to the right or left depending on which side of center they play on. so i hold the horn now pointing to the right. looking straight out, i see the left edge of the bell. doin this for 5 months now and it seemed to help rite from the start. attacks are cleaner and accuracy has improved. endurance is also better. i think that it is because the pressure is more evenly distributed. since your teeth are curved, if you play off center, you should follow the curve so the piece sets pressure evenly up and down and side to side. i tried this after seeing mf on vidieo. he held the horn at quite an angle to the right. i have seen other players do the same thing. anyway, it seems to help. does anyone think this is an important concept or am i just overanalyzing myself and other players.

2. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Well, trumpet angle(vertically and horizontally), can have an effect on your embouchre. Different styles/methods of playing will address this. I play with a few players who play off-center, I personally do not. However, if it is helping you play, I see no reason for you to not continue this.

Good Luck!

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I actually play off to a certain direction because I see out of one eye, and it ain't the right one.

Tom

4. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    after years of marching in high school and d & b corps, i play with the horn perpendicular to my chest. this presents a problem though when i play in my ensemble band where i always play with the horn above the stand as that's what i have to do to maintain my range. i am constantly being restrained by the conductor because of the projection of my sound over everyone else. if i play "down" or into the stand i just don't have the range.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Heck no you're not overanalyzing. You've possibly found a way that works for you that makes playing a little more efficient. However, if you're worried, let a university trumpet instructor see you play and ask for advice.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I played with a pretty strong angle for many years. My crooked teeth determined the lowest and most even distribution of pressure. I am not aware of any range, sound or flexibility issues. There are some DCI leaders with more eye for cosmetics than sound though.........

7. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

What bothers me about that is that most D&B players are relatively young,( and inexperienced ), just developing their playing habits. If a D&B instructer forces a still developing player to do ANYTHING that is deleterious to that young players future musicality, the instructor is committing a serious crime and a vast disservice to that young player. When that young player comes to one of us who teach proper musicality to attempt to get him/her back into proper playing form, they are actually spending time and money that they should never have to spend. Now, let the flames begin.

In his Nomex underwear, OLDLOU>>

8. edcon1981

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    wait... lou... did you just call me fat?!

:-o

9. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Where did I use the term fat, chubby, obese, rotund, round, horizontally replete, outsize, in need of going on a diet, overfed, wintered well, buying your wardrobe from Omar the Tentmaker, using up too much fabric for your clothing, or, any other deleterious remark about size or shape of your figure?

OLDLOU>>

10. edcon1981

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    OH, sorry... my bad. guess i'm a lil self concious about my weight.

:play: