trumpet b and c difference

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RAK, Aug 10, 2009.

1. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    I'm a B flat player. What is the difference between b flat trumpets c trumpets and piccolo. If i buy a c trumpet do I play the same still?What about piccolo. Is it hard to switch??

2. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    piccolo is usually in a/Bb depending on what you need or want it for and is pitched an octave higher- On the C trumpet it is the same unless you are playing in a key other than C

3. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Is there a different sound?

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    With a C trumpet, you can play music written in concert key and use the regular fingerings you're used to. An example would be playing straight out of a church hymnal - you'd be in the same key as the piano. C trumpets are sometimes used to make transpositions easier, too, when playing in a symphony orchestra. Most will have a slightly different quality to the sound from a Bb trumpet, somewhat lighter and "cleaner" sounding.

5. skip77

skip77 New Friend

Mar 25, 2007
    RAK - yes there is a different sound between full size Bb, C and Bb piccolo trumpets. Although all have overlapping range of identical notes, each horn becomes successively smaller from regular Bb to C and again to Bb piccolo trumpet. Tubing diameters and length become smaller and the bell flair is smaller with piccolo trumpet being the smallest of all. The reason these horns sound differently, in spite of overlapping identical notes, is kind of like the difference between blowing into 3 empty glass bottles of diminishing size. The smallest bottle produces higher pitches while the largest bottle produces lower pitches. Overall volume of air inside each horn, is like those bottle. That is why a tuba sounds deepest of all horns, followed by baratone, french horn, trombone, trumpet, C trumpet, piccolo trumpet. Does this make sense?

Additionally, while the 3 horn types can produce overlapping notes, each horn has limitations as well as potential to reach notes the others cannot. Flugelhorns often have a 4th valve, that makes the horn longer with the extra tubing on that valve, thereby increasing total volume or the horn, and lowering the pitch so that the horn can reach even lower notes. Piccolo trumpets often have a 4th valve to add extra length of tubing to achieve lower notes to make up for limitations in that direction, so that they can reach more notes that a full size horn reaches, with only 3 valves.

I think it a misnomer that piccolo trumpet can play higher on the musical scale. I say this because the horn does not produce notes - the musician produces notes. In my experience a trumpet player must develop strength to reach high C the same for regular trumpet and piccolo trumpet. Since piccolo trumpet has a smaller air volume inside, less air is needed to support the high C in a piccolo trumpet. But make no mistake, the musician must still be able to produce that note.

Each horn has it's own range of notes and all 3 horns overlap in the middle ranges. The fact that regular Bb trumpet, C trumpet and Bb piccolo trumpet produces different sounds, is one reason all are usually present in orchestra etc... to make use of the different sounds.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
    RAK likes this.
  6. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    What C trumpet would you recommend buying?

7. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Ok i get it. I am thinking of purchasing a C and a piccolo. I looked at schilke on ebay but there expensive. guess ill have to buy from a different brand.

8. skip77

skip77 New Friend

Mar 25, 2007
    RAK, I'm not the best person to ask that since I have not been playing the smaller horns for many years. I will only advise to not be tempted by any "new" C trumpet that is inexpensive. Most of them are not even musical instruments, at all. Stick with the long-time, reputable makers. A vintage C trumpet would serve you well if it is made by Olds or Bach, Selmer and many other well known makers. For new horns, Yamaha, Bach and many other makers are excellent. Sorry I cannot be more specific.

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    RAK,

Use the search feature to read up on other keyed trumpets on this and other forums. There is much to learn about them and it is a very good idea to educate yourself thoroughly before you decide to buy any. While you are learning about them spend your energy continuing to develop your abilities on the Bb horn. Very little of what you learn on a BB will not be usable on the C or piccolo.

And while you are studying you can save your $$ so that when you are ready to buy you will not be limited budget-wise and can purchase horns which will make you happy. Don't be in a hurry.

veery

10. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Thanks for your help skip. You actually gave me a lot of help. I think Olds will be a good horn. I was also thinking of maybe a Getzen. I play a standard b flat Selman trumpet and a Holton 1962 cornet. How come on holton horns it says Elkhorn Wisconsin and on some getzens thay have that too? Were they working togehter at some point or they just started in Elkhorn?