trumpet b and c difference

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RAK, Aug 10, 2009.

1. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Ok Veery715 I'll do that. I'm doing lots of research now.

2. skip77

skip77 New Friend

Mar 25, 2007
    RAK - not familiar enough to Holton/Getzen factory stories but it is common in both vintage and new horns that more than one brand are actually made in the same facility. Often different brands were/are owned by same company. Best wishes.

3. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    RAK - Be sure you are buying a C trumpet for the right reasons. In my opinion, you use a differently keyed horns for different sounds. Avoiding transposition is secondary.

I bought my C after less than 2 months of starting playing again because most of the pieces at church were in c. 8 months later my use for the horn has changed. Now I play the horn that gives the sound that I find appropriate for the song. Sometimes that means transposing from C to Bb or Bb to C. It has made me a better trumpet player. Any good trumpeter should be able to do this. It takes some practice, but if you take the easy way out by avoiding transposition (like I did for a while) you will never master it!

4. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    I also play in church :thumbsup: . Why do you say it is hard. Does the fingering change? If I can master baritone and trumpet then why not a C trumpet. I practice all the time. So do you think I'll be able to learn it fast? Most of my music is in B flat but once in a while it's C.

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I do not play a 'C' trumpet but I plan to buy one and learn. From what I have been told, here are the issues:
    (1) The fingering does not change. When you play a written 'C' on either a 'C' trumpet or a 'Bb' trumpet, it is still played with open valves. But, of course, the sounded pitch is the difference. The 'C' trumpet sounds a concert 'C' while the 'Bb' trumpet sounds a concert Bb. You simply play the horn for which the music is transcribed and finger normally. Transposing from one key to another is where the trick is.
    (2) As mentioned, the 'C' trumpet has a different sound and feel due to the different size and construction so the feedback that you hear in your ears is different. It is largely a matter of learning to hear the different tones and adjust your playing to match.
    (3) There is a different amount of resistance so the amount of air that you use is different and, apparently, some players use a different mouthpiece to help adjust the air flow.

Other than that, it is just a matter of practice like any other instrument. Not harder - just different.

6. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Sonare is a less-expensive (but still not cheap) line of instruments where the trumpets are designed by Jim Becker from Osmun Brass with specially designed Blackburn leadpipes. My son was trying out all the C trumpets at ITG in Harrisburg and found a $3000 Eclipse he really liked before trying the Sonare. He really liked them both equally but everybody who was listening to the final comparison agreed that the Eclipse had more of a soloist tone while the Sonare had a tone which would be much easier to blend in a section. Intonation-wise both of them were excellent, also for ease of playing. So he bought the Sonare (and saved me $1300!!!!) and is still delighted with it, several months later. I realize their list prices may seem high, but if you visit Dillon Music's web-site or Pro-Winds web-site the actual sale prices are very reasonable for high quality instruments.