Trumpet Bliss

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Apr 9, 2011.

1. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    This is one of two posts I am going to do today. Please be patient, I am just so psyched-up. April 19th will mark 18 months on the comeback trail. I have been contemplating joining one of the more serious community bands in the area. I brought my teacher the repertoire and told him that my goal is to "eventually" play for this particular community band. He said that in terms of range and endurance I am way more than there. He would be happy to work on the material with me. He suggested that second or third chair is a real possibility. I feel like my comeback dream is starting to come true: to play in a band and work my way up. I will be meeting with the conductor soon to review what I will need for auditions in September.

Where am I now after 18 months? Without even having heard of pedal notes before, I can now play from pedal C from Chase Sanborn's exercises. I can now play low G extensions to D over high C like it is nothing from Don Johnson's book. I have now two one-hour practice sessions where the second session is devoted entirely to Clarke Technical studies.

I have been working on the physical aspect of playing so that making music is easy. I think that is Claude Gordon's approach. I am fundamentally an emotional person (perhaps like all musicians). So, I have never felt that there is a problem expressing myself while playing music, or connecting with the music I am playing. The only limitations have been physical or technical and I focused solely on minimizing those limitations, although I know that the job is never done.

I am simply at bliss with my trumpet. My trumpet life has not passed me by. Absolute dedication is finally paying off. In fact, when crossing paths with another student as my turn was up, my teacher pointed to me and said, now that is one dedicated trumpet player. That alone, is enough to get me flying high. I have live my live by the saying of Charles Moody: "Mediocrety when focused can excel". It is all about focus.

Best Wishes,

BrotherBACH

2. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Congratulations to you! I have been on my comeback only 8 months, but even to begin with I only played for 2 years, so it's been a humbling experience. But I practice at least 2 hours a day, every day. I'm still not happy with my sound, but I have patience, and am focused!

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Great post, BrotherBACH! Thanks for sharing. I can feel the love.

4. MVF

MVF Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    SoCal
    Great post! I hope to be as happy at 18 months as you are. Thanks for the details, too.

5. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    Clarke technical studies work miracles.

6. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    Good on you Brother B! I love posts like this.
    I changed teachers recently and he sent me a text after our recent lesson that read: "very nice to work with a dedicated trumpeter." I know what you mean about flying high!

Think about where you'll be in another 18 months time. Keep us posted.
    Matt.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    What an awesome post ..
    congrats ...
    and thanks for getting back with the group on this .... to drink from the TM well is flattering ... to repost an update is class !!

8. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Thank you so much fellow TM members. I also keep reading your posts too as we all travel a similar path. It is very motivating. Just before I shut my eyes to sleep last night, I said "I can't wait to practice tomarrow." My wife just giggled and said "I am glad you are so happy. Just practice long tones during your luch hour at work."

BrotherBACH