Trumpet Books, Songs not Etudes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetTheKid, May 2, 2011.

1. TrumpetTheKid

TrumpetTheKid Pianissimo User

May 1, 2011
    Sacramento Area
    Summer Break is coming in 3 weeks and I figured I should buy some music to practice over the summer. I already have the Arban's Method as well all 4 of Clarke's books: Elementary Studies, Technical Studies, Characteristic Studies, and Setting Up Drills so as you can see I don't really need any more method books. I'm looking for a book of 20 or so stand alone pieces that can be played without piano accompaniment.

My budget is in the $15-20 range, I'm ending the 9th grade but I'm advanced for my age and would like something in the grade 4 to 5 level of difficulty.

PS. I'm okay with most types of music except for Baroque, which I can't stand.

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    how about pieces that come with a play along cd or piano?

3. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    Phil Snedecor has a book called Lyrical Etudes for Trumpet. They are each about 1:30 - 3 minutes in length if I remember right. You can buy it here for $19

Snedecor - Lyrical Etudes for Trumpet @ CedarMusic.com

I really like the etudes (I know you said no etudes, but these are so much fun to play!) Several college professors have recommended this book to me so if you are planning to major in music it might be good to have. Here's an excerpt from the first one:
    YouTube - Snedecor #1.mpg

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Very nice, thanks for the clip erd402. I had never heard of the Snedecor studies. What grade are they and what kind of range does one need to play them?

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you want my advice, I would say download a free notation program and start transcribing any tune that you hear and like instead of buying books. There is almost NOTHING out there that will improve your reading and understanding of musical structures more than learning to write.

A great legally free notation program is MuseScore (MuseScore | Free music composition & notation software). You can take tunes and transpose them to work out range and learn the colors of different keys. A tune played in E for instance sounds MUCH different than in Bb.

Just like keyboard skills improve written communication, being able to bang out a part in a couple of minutes needs PRACTICE. Try it, you'll like it!

6. Octiceps

Octiceps Pianissimo User

May 5, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    How about going to your local music store and picking up some trumpet instrumental solos for Star Wars or Lord of the Rings? You can get quite a good workout on some of the Star Wars solos.

I don't know about you, but that kind of music always gets me pumped up to play the trumpet. Hearing Maurice Murphy (R.I.P.) soar above the LSO in those old Star Wars soundtracks was the very reason I started playing back in 5th grade.

7. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    I'm not sure what grade they are. As for range, I just looked through it and a couple get up to a high C but most stay around an A or B above the staff. One gets up to a high D but hats as high as it gets. The entire point of the book is to play it as lyrical as possible. The forward in it mentions that "the fundamental style for any brass player should be lyrical" which is something I think is often forgotten. Some of these etudes are very pretty and I think are written in a way that forces you to think "how can I make it sound more beautiful?" I'd recommend this book to anyone looking for something new to play. It also explores different key and time signatures so you also benefit from working with those. All 20 etudes are interesting and fun to play, you won't be disappointed. By the way, if you haven't heard Phil's playing, make sure you listen to him. I have one of his CDs. His sound is so pure and beautiful.

8. ruling

ruling New Friend

Apr 24, 2011
    The Monadnocks, NH
    rowuk,

Thank you, thank you thank you! Back in the early 70's I used to do all my transcribing by hand using a piano, which meant I could only do it at school if I wanted to figure out the harmony..

9. TrumpetTheKid

TrumpetTheKid Pianissimo User

May 1, 2011
    Sacramento Area
    Thanks rowuk, I've actually been looking for a free program like that for a a couple months now.