Trumpet Books, Songs not Etudes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetTheKid, May 2, 2011.

1. TrumpetTheKid

TrumpetTheKid Pianissimo User

May 1, 2011
    Sacramento Area

The piece sounded great and is in the level of difficulty I was searching for and I actually am planning on majoring in music (jazz though) so this was really helpful, thanks.

2. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    If you're going to major in jazz, learn to play by ear.

3. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    There are also a couple of other Snedecor books out there - Low Etudes and Operetic Etudes. The low ones go to E and F below the staff and are a lot like the Lyric Etudes. The Operetic Etudes are super fun to play, and challenging!

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I assume you mean concert E & F since most trumpets won't play written notes below F#.

There are several things that I like for fun playing:
    (1) "The R. Bernard Fitzgerald" Trumpet Collection published by Theodore Presser. It has 13 classical pieces commonly used in contests and auditions. It comes with a CD which has a midi accompaniment for each piece.

(2) "Jazz Standards - Essential Elements" published by Hal Leonard. It has jass theory plus 10 well-known jazz pieces with a CD that has band accompaniment, rhythm-only and sample improv solos for each piece.

(3) A collection of etudes called "Day-Tudes" written by Jimmy Stevens, a member here, and the charts are available for purchase on his web site. They are a lot of fun to play and provide a challenge for a wide range of playing skill-building.
    Here is a thread with some additional information:
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f132/reminder-new-etude-books-56844.html

5. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    No, I literally mean low E and F for Bb trumpet. It's possible to play them, just not easy!

6. Phillydawg

Phillydawg New Friend

Jul 14, 2009
    SoCal
    Is this lyrical etude book good for "sightreading"?? Some players like myself struggle with that. :D

7. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Zombie thread. Nonetheless, to improve both sight reading and lyrical playing, try the Bordogni melodic studies. Possibly the one book that has improved my playing the most.

8. Phillydawg

Phillydawg New Friend

Jul 14, 2009
    SoCal
    Alrighty thanks. I'll look for it. I think I'm good with lyrical playing, just that reading "fast" is the sticky thing. I can read....heck I write charts for whole bands, just when I'm called to do that I already know how the charts go,heh.

9. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY