Trumpet Brand Loyalists/Non-Loyalists

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Oct 7, 2015.

1. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    Are you a brand loyalist or non loyalist regarding trumpet?

JRgroove likes this.
  2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Depends. I played on Bachs for the better part of 20 years, switched to Schilke and swore I'd play Schilke for the duration, but I'm currently on a Jupiter, so there you go.

3. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I'm sort of both.
    Though a Holton loyalist member :D

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Needless to say I will not play any brand in public except Jaeger!

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    No loyalty whatsoever. My brass instruments are listed in my signature below.

My woodwinds are Keilwerth tenor sax, Selmer alto, TK Melody soprano, modern flute is an Azumi, and "historic" flutes, Moeck.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Loyalist implies blindly following. This I do not do. Each of my instruments has a specific use case. I do think that Dave Monette does do something very special and wish that he also was into traditional rotary instruments.....

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I AM partial to Schilke, however....

I liked Kings, I have had three original Silver Flairs, they just didn't blend well with other horns.

Plyed a Courtois 708 Sonic for over twenty years. GREAT, GREAT horn. (it was what Al Hirt was playing at the end of his career)

Played a Schilke B6 that I was too rough on.

I had a Lawler C7 in satin gold that Roy built for me, hard to find a nicer horn.

I sold the Lawler when I won an Eclipse Solar Bell horn is brushed gold plate.
    Again, hard to find a better horn, but it ended up being too hard to play lead on all night.

Bought another Getzen Severinsen model from 1967, like the one I had before. Very good horn.

A friend let me borrow his Schilke 3X, I was hooked again and bought another Schilke B6. Probably my last horn, it's just too good.

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I am loyal to a Brand if it delivers what I want and what I expect. I will happily talk about my experiences with that brand.

But deep down, I am just a Trumpet Tart - I will happily swap to another horn at a second glance, and have no guilt. What I like today and love, I may move on to something else tomorrow, and maybe return again next month.

Gee, I am not feeling so good about myself now. But I am still married to my first wife, and never cheated - although she does not like to be introduced as my First Wife :oops:

So the Title fits me well - A Trumpet Brand Loyalist - Non Loyalist

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Why buy into a designer's second, third and fourth best concepts when there's so much else out there?

One of each for me.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I too am a trumpet whore.