Trumpet Brand Loyalists/Non-Loyalists

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Oct 7, 2015.

1. ChinTurret

ChinTurret New Friend

Jun 8, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    I am very comfortable with and reflect loyalty to my Bach 37, circa 1974. It is the horn my parents bought me and that feeds the loyalty. I have not had a reason to change. It is still in great shape.

2. jazzpik

jazzpik Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2015
    Atlanta
    Funny I have played guitar close to 40 years and never did have a specific brand loyalty. The guitar found me not the other way around. It has been the same way with horns. I will say learning to play brass instruments and playing the right one seems much more "hands on" than guitars. My goal is to get my hands on a Flip Oaks Wild Thing (got to play one and fell in love) but I must say I have been plesantly surprised with Carolbrass products. They just seem to suit me very well. In the guitar world not many really good guitars come out of Asia and never any real jazz guitars.

3. JRgroove

JRgroove Mezzo Piano User

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    Absolute best is a debate/discussion and would be personal preference for a specific application.

I think some of the best instruments for many applications come out of Japan. Certainly true for guitar, trumpet, saxophone, and piano.

4. jazzpik

jazzpik Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2015
    Atlanta
    I would be most interested to learn what Asian made top guitars you are referring too. There are lots of what folks consider Entry level to Mid level guitars out of Asia but I would like to hear what top rated guitar you could be alluding to that is made in an Asian country, particularly a jazz guitar. My comment about "best" as it relates to guitars is taken from many years of experience and is related to quality of build and workmanship not personal Playing opinion.

5. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    PRS, maybe? My BIL and I discussed this on Boxing Day.

6. jazzpik

jazzpik Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2015
    Atlanta
    My friend if you are referring to Paul Reed Smith (PRS) those guitars are made in Maryland USA! Now that is the East but not Far East!:roll:

7. JRgroove

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    but we are talking exactly about personal playing opinion... :stars:

8. jazzpik

jazzpik Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2015
    Atlanta
    Not for guitars my friend. Doesn't work that way. It is all about quality and workmanship. Where the woods are located how they are cured and how the luthier designs and builds the guitar. This is what makes the playing and sound unique from the mass produced Asian guitars which are usually not hand made. Sorry but it is not just like horns. When your dealing with wooden instruments there is so much involved in the workmanship. Now Europe has some excellent guitars but Asia has not produced any high quality guitars. I will use Gibson for an example. Most of their woods come from South America and are very expensive. Asian made instruments usually use wood from Southeast Asia and they do not meet the sound or quality of South American woods. I would ask you to name some brands made in Asia that Professionals would be considered top of the line. Frankly horns and guitars are two different animals as it relates to playability and quality. There is not a Carolbrass for guitars out there that I have ever heard of. At least none I am familiar with after 40 years of playing. Sure wish there was as guitars are very expensive and many of us would love to find a Carolbrass or comparable quality at half the price of a Gibson, Paul Reed Smith, Knaggs, Etc. with the sound and playability of those guitars. Unfortunately to my knowledge there is nothing out there from Asia that even comes close to the aforementioned named guitars.

9. JRgroove

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    :shock:
    Uhh... trumpet forum

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I've owned Olds, Reynolds, Conn, King, Bach, Yamaha, and Holton. Some really old Bessons and other obscure brands, too, but those don't count. I keep coming back to the Bachs, though - not because of the name, but because of the sound. I'd say Conn is next on my favorite list.