Trumpet Brand Loyalists/Non-Loyalists

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Oct 7, 2015.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It costs more than I pay for most of my trumpets!! ROFL

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    It took me a while to find a piece that really clicked, and that was the Al Cass. I play the stock-normal-star-here-first 1-28, and I have a 3X3-28 if I ever have to play much above the staff.

Tom

3. Slidehammr

Slidehammr New Friend

Jul 21, 2009
    I can't afford to consider loyalty an issue. I inherited my bee flats from my father: a 1953 Chicago Benge and a Schilke B3L. Two very different horns, both of which I've enjoyed playing very much. I also have a Courtois flugel from the '70's that actually plays well in tune! I'm preoccupied with learning to play these and trying to buy more would just be an interruption.

4. ♠♥CORNET♣♦

♠♥CORNET♣♦ Pianissimo User

Oct 18, 2014
    New Jersey
    I am still is school so I don't have many trumpets. But as for mouthpieces I have many. I've tried Bach, Jupiter, Yamaha, Schilke, Monette, Marceau, and Parduba. Monette beats them all! Intonation, tone, range, comfort! If I had the money I think I would buy one of their trumpets!

5. JRgroove

JRgroove Mezzo Piano User

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    I just read this post in another thread on this forum. I think it fits here also. :play:

Re: Stop brand/model shaming!

Interesting!

In 1959 I started with a Buescher. In 1965 I went to a Selmer Mod K. In 1968 to a Benge 2X. In 1984 added a Yamaha Flugel. In 1988 added a 1969 Bach Strad 37. In 1990 a Jupiter slide trumpet. In 2008 added a Huttl and Conn/Willson Flugel. Through the years, I have played Holton, Getzen, Le Blanc, and King. Finally in 2010 I bought a 1929 Conn 22B.

Now I have 28 Conn/Pan American/Cavalier/International Trumpets/Cornets/Flugels in my collection. I also still have the Benge. The Huttl will be sold soon, like all the others.

Like people have different opinions about the makes, I have also. I have even changed my opinion over the years. In the 1960's and beyond, I did not like the Conn product. Now I am a collector of its instruments (1920-1969 mostly) and doing studies on the company.

What I have found is each manufacturer and model has sound, design and utility characteristics combined with price that are pleasing to some. Some of the manufacturers or their models can become pleasing to many. Often it is based on what is the sound or usage trend of the day. Musicians playing in different styles from Rock, to Jazz, to Dixie, to Polka, to Big Band, Concert Band, Marching Band, Symphony or Solo work many expect different performance from their instrument. In combo's I even find different instruments or models mix better than others with different instruments types or models. I am sure there are many that disagree as they may play the same instrument for all performances.

Having said that, I have noticed there are "quality" differences over the years and among the manufacturers. Alloys, hardening and plating are easily noticed and influence sound quality from a richness viewpoint. This can also influence the opinion of an instrument. For example I have 2 Chinese made pocket trumpets (omitted from above purposefully as they are just fun horns). They measure the same in all aspects. However, 1 is very tinny and can be annoying in the upper registers. Whereas the other plays pretty well and is relatively balanced along the scale. What is very noticeable is the poor version is made from a different alloy then the better one. For example, using the old flick test, the bell thunks on the poorer one, but the better one has a ring. Inspecting valves reveals a better plating on the better instrument.

Basically, what I have learned is don't judge a manufacturer's or a country's product by one or a few instruments as instruments and times change. The "best" of yesterday may not be today and the "best" of today may not be tomorrow. Even what makes a "student" horn, a "student" horn changes over time or for that matter intermediate, step-up or professional.

Those of us who have looked at the brand Conn and its products over its life can attest to this.

6. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    A Benge CG 3 s for classical, Parduba 5 for jazz. I got the CG for $15 in perfect condition!

7. Gendreauj

Gendreauj Piano User

Aug 26, 2013
    Metro-Detroit
    I like Dennis Wick mouthpieces and Curry mouthpieces. Have owned Denis Wick 1.5 trumpet mp, 3 C trumpet mp, 2 BW cornet mp,and Curry 3BB. Many others I sure I have forgotten.

Conn 1000 A cornet
    Conn 17 A cornet coprion cornet
    Curry 3 VC mp
    Denis Wick Heritage 3 mp
    Denis Wick 3 B gold plated mp
    Denis Wick 4 B mp