Trumpet Building School

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Dec 10, 2015.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    You mean someone like Donald Trump? How did his apprentices work out I (actually don't) wonder?

--bumblebee

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Hey, this is a family-friendly forum! Watch your language!

3. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I am not wanting to make a joke out of this trumpet building.
    I really to craft a nice horn to give joy and fun to the owners.

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Sorry - I did not intend to make a joke of your thread, especially by referring to a joke.

I am very interested to hear about decent schools where you can learn the craft of trumpet (and other instrument) making. Here in Australia I can't think of a single college or university which has a reputation for teaching (or doing) this, and I forget occasionally how rich and extensive the learning/training opportunities are in some other countries.

--bumblebee

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    To the best of my understanding, Red Wing does not teach instrument design and fabrication to the extent that the school in Germany does, but I would think there's something to be said about learning instrument repair in general, both as a foundation for instrument making and an income-making skill. "You will also learn how to fabricate tools and instrument parts using lathes, drill presses, grinders, sanders, and bench motors."

Musical Instrument Repair & Construction at SE Tech - Red Wing

Unless you land a job at Alexander, Getzen or wherever, I'm not sure how you're going to make a living for the first several years just making trumpets.
    (Oops, I forgot. Maybe your family will subsidize your early years learning your craft and building up your business.)

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It is my understanding that Red Wing is only an apprentice program. Seemingly, that's a far cry from becoming a master craftsman upon completion of the program.

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Of course it's a far cry. But Meisters don't start out at the top. It would be a logical progression to take a program like Red Wing and then move on to working with a master.

At any rate, I was only pointing out Red Wing because it is not trumpet specific and when one is finished, one is a qualified instrument repairman, which could offer a graduate steady work while apprenticing under a master. If that was a consideration, then it's available. For me personally, if I only wanted to make trumpets, I'd go to the school in Germany. But then, I'm independently income blessed, love Germany and speak the language.

8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I wouldn't call anyone a master craftsman who was just out of school, regardless of profession.

Red Wing is a repair school. You are taught the basics of repairing brass and woodwinds, and possibly strings. It gives you a good idea of how you could approach certain aspects of making an instrument, but there are many skills that repair techs typically don't do that instrument makers do that must be learned outside of the repair trade. (ask me how I know...)