Trumpet buying/Trying advice for an old amatuer

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PatMurphy, Mar 19, 2011.

1. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    I am looking for some advice in choosing a trumpet.
    I have been playing for years. Only jam sessions since I am self taught.
    Can’t read, just learned to play by listening and playing
    I am a very aggressive dynamic player. Very loud then soft, high C-D (about all the range I have) then down to below Low C. I bend notes, especially blues. The audience in and around Phila. seem to be pleased with my licks.

I had a 1950s Selmer that I had grown to love, lots of back pressure and all.
    Sadly someone walked off with it. Shame on me!

I have been playing a Callet Jazz model. I just do not get the satisfaction I had. I feel like when I want to really push it, I want more than it has to give.
    While I am not a professional I get so much enjoyment it is worth paying what it takes if I can get satisfied. I reviewed the “decent inexpensive” horn suggestions but since I have cashed almost 100 social security checks it will probably be my last one and so has to be the one that makes me feel satisfied when I play.
    I will be going to Dillons and want some guidance as to where to start.
    I understand about trying 3, reject 2 and try 3 more
    I am looking for guidance as to where to start with my style so as not to waste time and get ear fatigue. I understand the exact horn will be the one that fells best. I don’t mind trying 10-20 but 100 is too much

An Olds Mendez?, Martin Committee, Lawler, Harrelson, VanCleve, Kanstul, another Selmer, Shilke. A Bach (there are so many models and number I have no clue what they mean or where to start).
    I have been playing a Bach 3D MP and am also considering a wedge.
    Tried it one and it seemed to give me a fuller sound

Thanks in advance for any advice
    Pat Murphy
    Callet Jazz trumpet
    Martin Committee cornet

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    It's difficult to replace a horn you've been used to playing for a long time. As for Bachs, try a 43 bell/43 leadpipe combo if they have one, or a 43 bell/25 leadpipe, which has a little more resistance. Also, the 72 lightweight bell is a favorite. Good luck with your search.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    my 2 cents ..
    I didn't particularly like this horn.. but lots of people do and swear by them... and it sounds like it fits what you are looking for
    King Super Flair ... I love Bachs personally... the Flair I tried had a little too much back pressure for my taste but seemed to play a little like a flugelhorn... easy to bend notes and had a little sizzle..
    then again.. have you thought about buying a flugelhorn?

4. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    I had a Getson Flugel...SUPER smooth sounding. Great for playing sith ballad singers.
    Loved it. It sounded very different than my trumpet which is what I wanted
    Sadly it went away with my trumpet and shephard's crook cornet

5. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Hey Pat,

Have you ever played a Taylor trumpet? If you haven't, I HIGHLY recommend that you find one somewhere and give it a try.

They're not exactly "inexpensive" when bought brand new, but there are a bunch of used ones out there that play just as well as the new ones!

Good luck in your search!
    Kujo

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  6. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    from what ive heard the Taylors are HUGE! both to blow and hold. suppose some love it some dont same with any.

when you go down to the shop play the same MP,dont switch around.

make a table or chart something like this

trumpet Bach Schilkie Xeno Selmer

Tone
    feel
    dynamics
    range
    bright/dark
    and ease of changing from bright to dark
    flexability
    tounging

etc etc

give a score say out of 10 play say 4 eliminate 2-3 then try replace the 2-3 and do the same untill youve gone through them all

When I did it i was stuck with 2 at the end, so went back the next day and brought my other MP's (classical, normal, lead) to see how they would respond and ended up just playing for 3-4 hours deciding!

7. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Yeah, some of the Taylor's are "heavy"...like the Chicago Custom and a few others. But there are also some lighter models. Like the Chicago Standard, Chicago X-Lite, Chicago VR, Focus, Pocket Rocket, Phat Freddie (trumpet)....etc...

But yes, you make a good point that some trumpets just aren't for some players! I would still recommend trying one out though! Andy makes some of the best horns out there. (IMO THE best...but that's me!)

Also, I really like the advise you gave about not switching mouthpieces when testing horns out! The table thing is a good idea as well...

Kujo

8. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    thanks, never played a taylor so couldnt really comment, just what ive heard....

yeah always important to stick with one MP, I know some people use only one for everything, but I use 3-4, each for a different sound/job so used to switching when I went back the 2nd time to see how each would react in different jobs/ sounds etc

ideally find a few and take them home for a few weeks but thats usually impossible....
    or a few a day. ive very recently gone through this and a little annoyed about my final choice, still very very happy but I had the option of waiting and buying a smith-watkins 2nd hand or buy a brand new selmer TT, the SW was £3000 were as the TT was £1500, few months later found a SW for £1600 on ebay in perfect condition! bit gutted but ah well, these things happen!

9. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Pat,

Go to a shop that carries Kanstul brand horns. If you don't know about Zig Kanstul, do a web search and you will find he was "the guy" at F.E. Olds when many of their collectable, great playing horns were made, and later at Benges became the top, when Benge became the top, sought ofter horn--those are also now collectable. He has his own brand where he has about a dozen models. Most of the horns are clone or semiclones of some of the top brands ever produced. The good thing is his clone is often an improvement. He knows any "complaints about" the famous brand and has worked to correct it. For instance the Kanstul 1537 is a clone of a Bach Strad 37, the Kanstul Chicago is, of course, a Benge Chicago, the Kanstul 1502 is a Callichio, the 607 an Olds Ambassador, the Kanstul 991 is the Conn Connstellation (played by Maynard and Cat Anderson in their best years), and the list goes on. By playing a dozen Kanstuls you get a close equivalent to playing a dozen different manufactures top horns -which most shops would never carry. And, Kanstul has a strong reputation for producing very high quality hornss-don't think anyone here will dispute that.

Whether you want to consider a Kanstul or go try the original from trying the clone would be your call. But, I really don't think you would be disappointed by a Kanstul.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    You may want to make more than 1 trip to Dillon's. Or perhaps you can buy one you like there and take it out for a week to play and return it for another if you decide against it.

I recommend you try a Yamaha 8310Z, which offers some resistance like your Selmer. Also try Lawler C7 small bore, other Selmers (a radial if you can), and any Olds or Conn they have. Try the small bore Conns - 22B, 12B, 38B, and also try a Callet Sima if possible.

You live reasonably close to Dillon's and have a horn which is playable, so unless you feel Father Time crowding you, be deliberate and take your time.