Trumpet buying/Trying advice for an old amatuer

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PatMurphy, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I went to the NAMM show and played many and liked The Getzen 3003 Genesis the best with the Bach NY 7 as my second favorite. I am also self taught but can read music as I took piano lessons for many years as a kid.

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    It seems if the lost Selmer had back pressure, then the Callet Jazz, with it's big bore and openness is a quite different.

To reproduce the tightness/back pressure, you need to look for a horn with more resistance or a mouthpiece which gives you that on the Callet. The Genesis mentioned above is not a "tight" horn by any means, although with one of the tighter leadpipes than the O or S which it comes with you may be able to get more resistance. With either the O or S pipe, my Genesis is an open blowing, dark sounding, fairly loose slotting horn.

That is why I suggested trying smaller bores. Perhaps it would be helpful if we knew what model Selmer you had and what mouthpiece you play.

3. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    From the kind of playing you describe and the instruments I've played, I'd choose a Kanstul Chicago. But that's just me. My friend, who is a jazz player, tried the Chicago and didn't like it at all. Go figure.
    I've also recently discovered Hammond Design mouthpieces work very well for me. But again, that's just me.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    There are alot of players who know about this than I do but I bet you should have some different size mouthpieces to try with the horns as well... I have never been able to switch up but I have seen players say this horn plays better with this mouthpiece..
    Does anyone have anything to add to this?