Trumpet care?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Floppy454, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Floppy454

Floppy454 New Friend

Jun 5, 2009
    I recently got a sterling silver trumpet with a gold trim, and I'm wonding, is there any special care I need to know about to maintain the quality? Do I need to polish it with my silver polishing cloth after every use? do I need to buy the special gloves? All help is appreciated :D

2. Floppy454

Floppy454 New Friend

Jun 5, 2009
    Just if there is anything major I need to know? :)

3. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    I think that sterling silver bells are usually coated in clear lacquer just like a lacquered brass bell. Same rules should apply as far as using a soft non abrasive cloth and water. In general you should wipe it down with each use unless you use gloves, to remove any harmful acids, oils transferred from your hands.

Enjoy your new horn.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    How much you end up wiping down your horn depends on many things - most of which have NOTHING to do with how the horn plays. Tarnished silver does not have a different sound than shiny new.

More important is that you keep the inside clean by regularly bathing the instrument, and also keeping the valves properly oiled to prevent wear.

I like to have intimate contact with the horn and gloves reduce the "feel" when playing. I may wipe my horn down once every week or two. My focus is on what comes out of the front, not what the neighbors think.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The nice thing about gold is that it doesn't tarnish enough to really notice. If your hands are highly acidic, you might want to wipe down the parts you touch all the time after playing.

Silver will tarnish fairly quickly and will clean up fairly quickly as well. (I use the D bell and slides of my Schilke Eb/D about twice a year, and for some reason the Schilke silver turns brown--too ugly even for Vulgani, but gets all sparkly clean with little effort.) Remember that we lose a tiny little amount of the plating when we polish, and being overly enthusiastic in the polish department can, over the years, remove some of the plating. Besides, you don't want to be one of those people that spends more time primping than playing, do you?

It is time well spent to clean the insides on a regular basis, empty the spit before putting the trumpet away, and keep the valves and slides well lubed.

Enjoy your new horn!

6. SonicBlast

SonicBlast New Friend

May 7, 2009
    Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
    My trumpet isn't silver, but about cleaning the inside. When I look down the inside of the bell, there is different coloured "stuff." In the past, I have been very bad about cleaning my trumpet. Will this come out with regular chemical cleaning?

7. samdaman

samdaman Pianissimo User

Jun 15, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    Hey Floppy, Congrats on the new horn. I always recommend a nice coat of car wax for horns. The stuff I use is the "Once a Year Car Wax" that comes a jumpsuit-orange bottle. Non abrasive and it protects the horn very well. Just make sure you don't use the "cleaner-waxes" that are abrasive and your horn will thank you. That way, wiping off fingerprints are easier and your trumpet is protected.

To Sonic- Clean your horn! Don't be to lazy about cleaning it out. Usually my rule of thumb is once every month or two. Use a dash of dish washing soap, disassemble, and let it soak for a bit.

The different colored "stuff" is probably where the buffed lacquer stops on your trumpet . Each lacquer trumpet is given a coat of lacquer that eventually will get buffed and polished on a buffing wheel. Manufactures don't polish the inside of horns, thus the very inside of your bell looks that way.

8. SonicBlast

SonicBlast New Friend

May 7, 2009
    Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
    I haven't tried to be lazy. But my one excuse is until changing schools this last year, I haven't had the opportunity to chemically clean my trumpet. I should have washed it with just water more, but we have only one tap in my house that uses "sweet" water (nice easily drinkable tap water). All the other taps use "raw" water (it has lots of minerals in it).

And just for the record, I'm an American. I just happen to live in Saudi Arabia.